News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Does The Trout need a fly?

Started by Malcolm, August 22, 2012, 12:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

I really think an eye would "set it off"
Well done
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Malcolm

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll leave it unless I can think of a way to make a fly out of wood and it would be incredibly fragile.

Alan It actually has an eye - for some reason the light of the photograph seems to have blanked it out. The other side of the fish is more finely detailed but I decided to display it the way it is.

I like to have a few projects on the go at the same time and I have a few already for the winter. I've been asked to build a heirloom quality wading staff made out of real lignum vitae with a burl handle. What makes the project more interesting is that it should be splittable with a second, much shorter, bottom section so that it can be used as a walking stick. Raises a lot of questions: do I use a snooker cue type of screw in join? Even more important where the hell can I get two 1 metre x 35 mm strips of Lignum vitae.

I haven't agreed to that project yet, there's a lot of research to be done. 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Fishtales

What about two locking brass ferrules from an old salmon rod?

You will have to watch the length of the walking stick section though and take a measurement from the user. Too long and it is uncomfortable to use; too short and it swings in the air half the time or they will have to bend to the side so it meets the ground :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Inchlaggan

'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Inchlaggan

Quote from: guest on August 23, 2012, 02:10:23 PM
I'm currently chainsawing my way though tonnes of greenheart timber - firewood unless anyone can use it
Put me down for some, please.
Go."

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on August 23, 2012, 01:28:42 PM
never seen lignum vitae in long lengths

Until today I thought it was some kind of muscular disorder.   :lol:  This place is a gold mine of information. What is so special about it compared to ither wid? I am now assuming it is wid?

Inchlaggan

Lignum vitae-
The strength and oil content, used for ships' propellor bushes and bearings- it has three times the life of bronze or steel.
It's what bowling balls (woods) are made of .
Very pretty to look and can be finished to a fine polish.
Go."

Malcolm

I didn't know a great deal about it until a couple of days ago - just that it was used for the heads of top quality woodworking mallets and bowling balls and other applications requiring an incredibly strong, impervious and heavy material.

However I'm coming to the view that it is not the most suitable wood for the wading staff. It's apparently terrible for taking glue, the original is virtually impossible to come by and the subsitute which Inchlaggan has linked to doesn't seem to come in suitable lengths. However the guy knows exactly what he wants and when I made him a bespoke canoe paddle last year he paid me precisely twice the price we agreed so I'll do a bit more research!
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Inchlaggan

Not found anything long enough at my usual suppliers of exotics. You won't get the original anymore, not at a price you can afford. Can't find any references to it being used for sticks or staffs either- but the customer is always right.
You won't bend it and even epoxy will not hold well.
The Stickman is a pretty good place to start.

http://thestickman.co.uk/shanks.htm
Go."

Wildfisher

so it is wid then?  :lol:

Alan, a wading staff is probably best if not overly light. Only thing is practicality, they are a hassle to carry when you are no using them. That's where the collapsible ones score.

Go To Front Page