News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

knottable wire: is it just me, or...?

Started by corsican dave, October 31, 2012, 11:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

Ever thought of something like this? Titanium Wire married to a Furled leader, No knot, a snap link instead.
Overall length 6ft 6ins with  10ins. of kink resistant medical grade titanium
superior casting
high durability & toughness
maximum corrosion resistance & strength
overstrike protection, high stretch & recovery
black oxide bite guard reduces underwater visibility
cuts through weeds
ready to use, for 7wt lines & above
breaking strain 20lb
Excuse the blurb

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Traditionalist

Quote from: Highlander on October 31, 2012, 06:58:02 PM
Ever thought of something like this? Titanium Wire married to a Furled leader, No knot, a snap link instead.
Overall length 6ft 6ins with  10ins. of kink resistant medical grade titanium
superior casting
high durability & toughness
maximum corrosion resistance & strength
overstrike protection, high stretch & recovery
black oxide bite guard reduces underwater visibility
cuts through weeds
ready to use, for 7wt lines & above
breaking strain 20lb
Excuse the blurb

Tight Lines

That looks good. How much?

Part-time

I tried this stuff and found it knots just like heavy nylon using 3 turn tucked blood knot and the same knot i use to make a loop in nylon:

http://mikestackleshop.com/surflon-micro-ultra-knottable-leader-wire

Its not cheap but I didn't want the hassle of crimps etc.

I should qualify the above by saying I've only got round to using it a few times and have not actually caught a pike on it yet  :roll: - knots just fine though :)

I'll drop off a piece for you to try next time I'm passing

fergie

Quote from: guest on October 31, 2012, 01:43:26 PM
I used t use Drennan pike wire which  is braided and knotable, it doesn't kink but does suffer a bit from memory

Is that the seven strand stuff ?
Ive used this stuff for ages and i like it its nice and thin and knots and crimps well.I got some Savage gear knotable "Clear " wire its ok but if you dont get the knot exactly right you cant correct it and it ruins the end of the trace or at the very least leaves a wee twist or kink in it .I just crimp that too now and its been fine.

corsican dave

thanks folks!

i'll try the overhand knot approach and maybe also the surflon and/or the furled leader.

using crimps is definitely out. the additional weight drags the plugs straight down. i'd seen the video (which is pretty much the same as the illustrations on the packet): looks easy doesn't it? i can assure you it's not! probably a lot easier if you're not paying 50p a foot....

just to give you an idea, i'm using plugs that are the same size as the smallest floating rapala ie 5g (and caught a few this afternoon :8))
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Traditionalist

If you are using small stuff then try Kevlar.  It does fray and you have to check it regularly but I have never had a bite off with it. It's easy to knot.

http://www.rodgersfishingtackle.co.uk/product_catalogue.php?sec=5&cat=15&product=3968

corsican dave

If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

corsican dave

okay guys, i took on board your advice and have made up a number of leaders, all with lineaffe target line rolling swivel+ snap, size 20 at the business end and fish eagle rolling swivel size 10 (which are actually only slightly larger than the 20s) at the line end.

results so far:

surflon micro supreme: quite flexible, a bit prone to loosen off. catches fish (lost count on thursday :8)). still a shade on the heavy side

ron thompson hard mono: not the most supple. knots easily. no fish yet. quite light (ie doesn't drag the micro lures under)

kevlar tress: very light and super supple. looks like the out and out winner BUT; no fish yet and it doesn't inspire confidence re. bite-offs. have to wait until next friday for a proper test!

many thanks for your input. i'll keep you posted. i have to say the presentation on the kevlar tress is fantastic and would be ideal with flies (provided it's fish-proof) surprisingly little info about this on the net...

fergie

I might just get a spool of that kevlar tress myself to try next season. :D

Traditionalist

Quote from: corsican dave on November 10, 2012, 10:51:16 PM

kevlar tress: very light and super supple. looks like the out and out winner BUT; no fish yet and it doesn't inspire confidence re. bite-offs. have to wait until next friday for a proper test!

Although it looks fragile it is virtually indestructible.  I have had a trace fray a bit when going over the teeth of a fish but I have never had a bite-off.  Obviously, if it does get frayed then it is better to change it. As long as it doesn't fray much you can catch fish after fish with it. It wont fray at all on most fish. It's only now and again that a fish manages to fray it at all.

Go To Front Page