News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What Makes A Good Trout Fly Reel?

Started by Wildfisher, December 12, 2013, 12:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

For me it's simplicity, quality build and lightness.  No bells and whistles.

Have still not found anything to beat the Vosseler DC3.

What would you recommend?

Wildfisher

Quote from: guest on December 12, 2013, 12:48:54 PM
that goes ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ when you hook a whumper :D

The number of whumpers you catch I can imagine it sends you to sleep these days.   :lol:

I like a good adjustable drag for a few reasons, but above  all I want a reel that can stand up to rough treatment yet remain lightweight.  No bells and whistles. What price range are these Orvis mid arbours in?

Wildfisher

Another feature I'd look for if paying a lot of money for a reel is construction. Look at this Vosseler DC3 and in particular the frame construction.

[attachimg=1]

Most closed frame reels have one support post at the bottom like on this cheap Okuma

[attachimg=2]

This latter arrangement will wear out your fly line and  may eventually wear a goove in the post. Just think how you pull line off a reel.

If choosing a closed or part closed  frame design I'd avoid this.

Wildfisher

The Vosseler DC3 like that one  are well over £200, but they will last for ever. Seriously  they are built like brick out houses. Not sure about supply - think GAC do them.  You can see from the above photo my reel has had a lot of wear - you know the places I go - certainly not duck ponds - and its performance is undiminished. Can't remember how long I have had it, but it must be 8 years and I fish a lot. Only one issue is the line / backing capacity is not as great as the adverting might suggest, but for me this has not been a problem.

Don't underestimate the line wear issue I have pointed out. I'm sure Alex would  back me up on that. I'd never buy an expensive  fly reel that had a support post fixed  at the bottom. IMO it's a serious design flaw.

Wildfisher

Quote from: guest on December 12, 2013, 02:27:11 PM
Guess it comes down to what you are happy and confident with at a price that suits?

Absolutely and I agree Orvis stuff is great. The post and line wear issue is one you can pay money to get past,  for me it makes no sense to pay £200  or thereabouts  for something that is IMO designed badly. I'd  buy cheaper reels with the low set post.

This is how the Vosseler  frame design  gets round it. It may be expensive to produce frames like this, I don't know

[attachimg=1]

Highlander

I am in the camp that a reel is more than just a line holder.
Robust & well engineered & if a drag it works smoothly is what I look for. Not too bothered if it is light as I tend to prefer a reel with a bit of weight. More so with a double hander than say a Trout one. Probably why I stick to older reels such as the J. W. Young Beaudex which I have three & along with a couple of Pridex & Condex I doubt if I need to buy another Trout reel.
Having said that I do have a few "fairly modern" reels with disc drag which I use for Salmon & Sea Trout though none of my reels have large arbor.
Fred mentions the Vossler, I tried one out some years ago & they are superb constructed pieces of kit. If I was indeed in the market that would be up there. Orvis reels are generally pretty good, The Batenkill or the older CFO would be my choice for Trout. So that would be my recommendations.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

13Fisher1

Quote from: guest on December 12, 2013, 12:48:54 PM
For brown trout  all you really need is a line holder  - the rest is superfluous

Orvis Mid Arbours offer me everything I need - relatively inexpensive, nice drag, good looks and a click that goes ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ when you hook a whumper :D

I'm in this camp for brown trout, sadly or happily most of my brownie are of the size where rarely need to play from reel. So robust, simple and relatively low cost for brown trout, like the orvis and the Okuma I have. However for sea trout and salmon I go for some more expensive options given the potential loading and need for quality and reliability, salmon few and far occur for me. I then tend to use Danielson or Hardy for above reasons.

Wildfisher

13Fisher1

Quote from: 13Fisher1 on December 12, 2013, 06:14:14 PM
I'm in this camp for brown trout, sadly or happily most of my brownie are of the size where rarely need to play from reel. So robust, simple and relatively low cost for brown trout, like the orvis and the Okuma I have. However for sea trout and salmon I go for some more expensive options given the potential loading and need for quality and reliability, salmon few and far occur for me. I then tend to use Danielson or Hardy for above reasons.

Oh and love my Plueger reel if a little heavy, great looking reel and had many years of use!

Highlander

QuoteNo doubt they are rattling off an assembly line somewhere in China

Andy unless it has changed recently the Vossler range are made in Germany.

That is a good price from Tackle Bargains, Anyone looking for a good reel this Xmas could do worse than this one.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page