News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What Makes A Good Trout Fly Reel?

Started by Wildfisher, December 12, 2013, 12:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Looks a bit flimsy to my eye obviously I would have to see one in the flesh but I doubt it would stand up to rough and tumble like the Vosseler.   My pal Dave had a Mitchell 710 in the mid 1970s and cursed it constantly. The "willy"  that sticks out the front was forever  catching in stuff.  :lol:

Inchlaggan

Quote from: admin on December 15, 2013, 07:06:18 PM
The "willy"  that sticks out the front was forever  catching in stuff. 
Story of my life. Mostly the wrong wimmin. But, hey, Alan's the undoubted expert here.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

I'd be worried I broke that Alan. it just looks too fragile for wild country fishing. Bring it along next time we are out and I'll have a look.

Wildfisher

I paid a visit to Angus Angling this morning and had a look at the new Vosseler DC2. It's a very nice reel, lighter than the DC3 but sadly the spools are not compatible with the older model. Neil at Angus Angling is a really nice guy and very helpful.  A real tackle shop as opposed to someone retailing the same stuff out of a shed.

Highlander

Not everyone's cup of tea but my idea of a "good reel" A bit on the heavy side by today's offerings but none the worse for that.
An older model System 2 with the original non ventilated spool. Been used  lightly for the odd day I get to go after Sea Trout.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Bobfly

When wear on the post occurs it can really only be from when line is stripped off the spool. Winding back in is normally a direct line to the spool and the post is not involved. I allways wind in through a bent finger to give a slight tension so that the windings are not lying loose on the spool.When drawing off the spool I tend to draw forwards and outwards from about waist level. I do not seem to have a wear problem. Maybe if I were to strip line off down towards my knees it might cause significant wear. On some reels I have used a fine file and emery paper to round off any sharp edges but in general ........ no probs.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

I just bought another Vosseler  DC3 5/6 from Tackle Bargains. At £104  it's just too good to miss - a whole reel for only a bit more than the price of a spool!  I don't really need it, but it's a nice to have spare to have in case anything happens to my old faithful DC3.  :8)

haresear

Quote from: admin on December 16, 2013, 10:06:05 PM
I just bought another Vosseler  DC3 5/6 from Tackle Bargains. At £104  it's just too good to miss - a whole reel for only a bit more than the price of a spool!  I don't really need it, but it's a nice to have spare to have in case anything happens to my old faithful DC3.  :8)

That's why I bought two when I got mine as well Fred. Spare spools seem impossible to come by in any case, so a spare reel is even better.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

These reels will stand up to a lot Alex and make other reels look flimsy.  They are superbly made and are probably reasonably summed up as combining the solidness of old reel like the Condex with modern design, relative lightness and reliability. The posts are sensibly placed too.   :D

Go To Front Page