News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Tackle Reviews In Magazines

Started by Wildfisher, January 15, 2014, 10:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you read them or take them seriously and do they influence your purchasing decisions

Yes
No

Midgie Hater

I voted yes because, like others here I used to read reviews, especially when just starting out as I hadn't a clue what may or may not be the best option  in terms of rods, lines, reels etc. I stopped reading/buying magazines like T&S after my first season, and thereafter discovered that an online community of like-minded souls was a better place to seek advice and thrash out the pros-and-cons of the numerous (and to a novice bewildering) options.

I think there is some foundation, depending on the publisher, to the suspicion that reviews can sometimes be clouded by the desire/requirement to maintain and further amass advertising sales revenue. Sometimes said suspicion can be unfounded though because what may be happening is that the sales team have approached a manufacturer on the back of an editorial decision to review particular products in that month's edition so that the focus is on, say, reels or rucksacks or whatever and so a pitch can be put to the gear producer on the basis that this will get readers thinking about said products and, arguably, increase the likelihood that a particular, relevant ad placement reaping some results. At least that's the way the likes of TGO used to do it and possibly still do although I don't have any contact with that team any more so maybe the policy is different now. Certainly within that publishing house (Herald & Times group which is owned by Newsquest) there was wide editorial freedom in that, article and feature selection/commissioning was not done on the basis that the sales team needed to punt x-amount of ad. space.

zeolite

I voted no but they used to influence me. I haven't bought a rod in 5 years (Sharpes Gordon 9,6" #7 ) second hand for £40 and I haven't bought a line for a similar period.

However I am looking to buy a handgun so now I have to find a magazine to get some references!  :shock:
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Guddler

Quote from: zeolite on January 19, 2014, 05:46:28 PM
However I am looking to buy a handgun so now I have to find a magazine to get some references!  :shock:

Ah yes. Forgot about that. Is it mandatory to have a handgun now you're in Texas?  :lol:

Used to have a 4" barrelled Smith & Wesson 586. Absolutely solid piece of engineering and I don't think it ever faltered, no matter what type of badly home-loaded ammo I put through it.

zeolite

Not in Texas yet. Still in Wyoming but just getting prepared.
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Go To Front Page