News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Smoked Haddock Pasta...simple & delicious

Started by desmondo, January 17, 2014, 10:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desmondo

Just had one of our favourites tonight, so quick and easy but so good.
For 2
A couple of fillets of smoked haddock (about 400g), not the yellow dyed stuff. Put in a pan, add some bayleaves + onion ( either or both ) black pepper, cover with milk, bring to boil, take off heat, and leave for 10 minutes. Take fish out and flake to remove any bones. Keep milk for sauce.
Put pasta of your choice (180g enough for 2)  in boiling water for required time, 10 minutes or so.
Make an easy cheese sauce. Melt a spoonful of butter, add same of plain flour and mix together for a minute. Add in some of the cooking milk and whisk until it thickens. Add more and whisk again, don't worry you don't want it thick. Add in grated cheddar cheese and taste.
Drain pasta, add cheese sauce and combine. Add haddock ( I often throw in some prawns but not a must ), give a good mix.
Put into warmed bowls, bit of crusty bread and maybe more parmesan, enjoy.
Some Albarino goes well with it.

Wildfisher

I'll try that with smoked mackerel. I have freezer load of fillets and am about to smoke some more.

jaybee

Like your recipe similar to my own but for that extra bit of subtlety I add a half teaspoon of mustard to the sauce mix.

Enjoy...

Harpo

desmondo

Thanks guys, like jaybee I vary with mustard my favorite Arran honey adds a lovely sweetness, quite often cheap at Aldi.

Suki1312

Too early to be slevering , sounds lovely need to try that  :D
Every day is a school day

Wildfisher

I knocked this recipe up this evening using mackerel fillets taken from the freezer and smoked the day before. It was so easy and absolutely delicious.  :D

superscot

Fred whats the marinade for the fish prior to smoking !

Wildfisher

Quote from: superscot on January 22, 2014, 12:20:38 AM
Fred whats the marinade for the fish prior to smoking !

I just heavily salt the fillets for 3 or 4 hours, pouring off the liquid a few times. Then I  wash them well to remove all the surface salt.

haresear

Sounds good Des. Your recipe may make even trout palatable :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page