News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Bag,Vest,fanny pack or combination.

Started by Highlander, March 15, 2014, 06:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan Crawford

Liked the look of that bum bag from ebay for a tenner, interested to hear what you think when you get it ?

Fishtales

Quote from: Colliemore on March 16, 2014, 12:29:23 PM
Liked the look of that bum bag from ebay for a tenner, interested to hear what you think when you get it ?

Looks a bit bulkier than mine and I get annoyed with mine slipping and getting in the road if there is too much weight in it so I'm not sure how that one will be Fred.

Quote from: Element on March 16, 2014, 12:51:05 PM
Is there a rucksack available that doesn't get in the way of allowing one to have a net dangling from it high up? Mine is totally incompatible; hence I don't use the 2 in combination...

E.

I don't carry a net so I don't have that issue :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

Carrying the net on a fly vest or my fishing rucksack is exactly the same.

Highlander

Plenty food for thought.
QuoteThis seems to me to be a never ending search for an ideal to cover every situation  and it might not exist.
You might well be right Fred. Whatever one does will always be a compromise. I suppose the answer may well lie in say a river kit & a loch kit two kits in all
I was up at GAC today & had a look at what they had including the Airflo Outlander which like the other three guys said is a well made kit. Not for me though, just too much & again in front which is what I want to avoid in the first place. Nothing took my fancy except a Patagonia one but at around £70 was never in the ball park.
What I have settled on is a back pack which I already have & a  waist bag of some sort. This setup would meet my requirements. Bulky kit in the pack, dump & fish light with the waist pack. River would just be the waist pack but then again where would I carry waterproofs flask & pieces. So even that idea has pitfalls.
Got to be compromise. The E bay one is probably just too big but at what was it £10, I mean how can they even make it for that price never mind sell it at a profit. Fred hopefully you can give a wee critic when you get yours. If it is not too bulky I could well have a punt at that one.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

I'll let you know how it goes Alan. I too thought it might be a bit big, but it will give me a point of reference. If it is too big I'll use it as a camera waist bag and buy a slightly smaller one for the fishing.

Highlander

QuoteIs there a rucksack available that doesn't get in the way of allowing one to have a net dangling from it high up

Think River Chatter had a method of carrying his net within a back pack which looked kind of neat.

Tight Lines

Right off out to River Leven for a few hours. Just going to wait till Erskine Bridge traffic clears. Been a right nuisance these roadworks on the bridge. I have to drive to Paisly or Bishopton & double back as you can not get access at Erskine. Works going on to summer as well.
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

I just use a magnetic release and hang the net from it. It is exactly the same as using it on a fly vest.

Allan Crawford

I prefer using it from a rucksack as the rucksack supports the weight better, I let the net hang from elasticated cord, but also when not in use the net fits inside the rucksack so isn't catching on things.

Wildfisher

Tony,  I think the more the sack is packed full the less stable the net gets. The one I use is quite broad and designed for fishing. Even then it's not perfect, the net mount was too low, I just put a few cable ties on higher up and fixed the magnetic release to that. Sorted!

Wildfisher

For things used a lot that I don't want to have to fumble in pockets for I rigged up this.

[attachimg=1]

Again, not rocket science. A length of elasticated bungee chord (it does not twist, tangle or dig into your neck)  and fixed to it - left to right -  The Deergravy Fly Drier, cutters, nippers with integrated needle and nail knot tool, amandou patch and gink.  This hangs round the neck with the point of cutters reaching belly button level. It tucks away under the bib of the waders or inside a zipped fleece. It does not get in the way which is especially important while crawling around on river banks.  This a lot better than the dangly bits hanging off a vest that can't be got out of the way.

You can buy these for about £20 + delivery from the USA.   :lol:

Go To Front Page