News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Wooden scoop net care?

Started by scoobyscott, December 23, 2014, 04:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: markirv on December 23, 2014, 10:27:50 PM
That one looks perfect. Good price.

Yeah, I wouldn't spend big money on a scoop net. The one I have is a Snowbee, I've had it for 10 years and it cost under £20. When I'm doing more serious fishing I use a  McLean weigh net like this one.

[attachmg=1]

Fine and big, telescopic and folding handle and hangs out of the way on my back. When I go to NZ in a few weeks the scooper will be staying in Angus.  The McLean will be going on holiday to the land of its birth. .  :D

Mark

You didn't find that McLean net sticking in the bank by the Tay did you Fred?  :lol:

Wildfisher

Did you lose one? 

I bought that one on the recommendation of Alex (haresear) back in 2007.  I think it cost me about £50 then.

Wildfisher

I did wonder why Alex suddenly stopped going to the Tay.  :lol:

Wildfisher

haresear

Quote from: Alan on December 23, 2014, 10:52:04 PM
I got one of those cheapo alu Fladen ones, first job is bend the frame so it fits rucksack,

Carrying a net and getting it off without tangling is a major pain in the ars for me, so much so i only carry one when i'm assured whumpers are a distinct possibility, what is the solution for that?

Consider is how and where you are going to attach it to yourself or to your rucksack.

I use a waistcoat/vest most of the time. The net hangs on my back attached by a magnetic release and by a lanyard as a safeguard. There are no buckles etc. to get in the way and tangle.
The lanyard is attached on my left hand side by two karabiners  so that the net will fall on my left hand side ( the hand I use to net fish with).

I attach the magnetic release to the hoop where it meets the handle, so the handle folds flat against the hoop and the net is as high on my back as possible. Being vertically challenged, these things are important :). I think the handle is 24" and the hoop 22".
If I am feeling diligent, or particularly confident, i will slip the loose mesh inside a hair band attached to the handle to keep out of the way of brambles etc. 

This clip shows the arrangement well in operation. I see the hairband on the net handle for tucking the mesh in, but haven't used it on this occasion.  http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=23748.30

Or you could just fish bandy waters. :lol:

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

Quote from: Alan on December 23, 2014, 11:47:02 PM
Aye that was quick and easy to release, if that was me i'd put the rod down while i unfankled it :lol:

...and Fred would have  been shouting " This fucking net.!!..." :lol:

I noticed in that clip that the handle (which is also extendable) is the same length (unextended) as the hoop. This means there is not a lot of dangly stuff going on, which is important when you have hobbit in your blood :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

Quote from: Alan on December 24, 2014, 12:08:12 AM
My biggest problem is my rucksack, its got pockets with toggles and dangly things that catch on the net, i suffer this because it travels well, the 'adapted' hoop clips perfectly and entirely over my rucksack, and... i walk a bit more than catch :(

Cover it with something smooth. A rucksack cover or something similar.
Sorted. :D

Alex
Protect the edge.

east wind

Scoobyscott, I think the tackle dealer had other stuff he needed to move on quicker than his nets. I use the cheaper wooden type nets without ever needing regular maintenance, and even then its usually a net repair.
I would avoid the ones with tight net mesh though as they are a bugger to control against a fast current.

I was fishing with my bro in the summer. He refused my offer of a wooden scoop with magnetic lanyard preferring a really cheap aluminium extendable with a clip that he attached to his belt. Soon after, he walked into the net and bust the aluminium tube pretty easily.

A few years ago I had a think about why I was loosing too many bigger trout and one of the changes for these rivers was an hinged McClean net for better reach. I drilled a hole at the end of the handle and attached a ring to hold the magnet. It hangs upside down compared to the set up Alex has from the NZ video with the end of the handle pointing up . I fold it inwards towards my waistcoat. It means I can grab the handle straight off and flick it open ready for use.
Downside is, it sometimes wants to unravel when walking or clambering about the bank.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

haresear

Quote from: east wind on December 24, 2014, 12:31:52 AM
Scoobyscott, I think the tackle dealer had other stuff he needed to move on quicker than his nets. I use the cheaper wooden type nets without ever needing regular maintenance, and even then its usually a net repair.
I would avoid the ones with tight net mesh though as they are a bugger to control against a fast current.

I was fishing with my bro in the summer. He refused my offer of a wooden scoop with magnetic lanyard preferring a really cheap aluminium extendable with a clip that he attached to his belt. Soon after, he walked into the net and bust the aluminium tube pretty easily.

A few years ago I had a think about why I was loosing too many bigger trout and one of the changes for these rivers was an hinged McClean net for better reach. I drilled a hole at the end of the handle and attached a ring to hold the magnet. It hangs upside down compared to the set up Alex has from the NZ video with the end of the handle pointing up . I fold it inwards towards my waistcoat. It means I can grab the handle straight off and flick it open ready for use.
Downside is, it sometimes wants to unravel when walking or clambering about the bank.

Not a bad idea Mac, if I understand correctly. Would a hairband around the handle help? You could do as I do (sometimes) and tuck the mesh in  and that should keep everything  shipshape?

Alex

Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page