News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Wooden scoop net care?

Started by scoobyscott, December 23, 2014, 04:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

east wind

Quote from: haresear on December 24, 2014, 12:44:08 AM
Not a bad idea Mac, if I understand correctly. Would a hairband around the handle help? You could do as I do (sometimes) and tuck the mesh in  and that should keep everything  shipshape?

Alex

Alex, I'll post a picture of the set up. Not sure what you mean about the hairband but I'm all ears. Anything to prevent looking round to see 10ft of lanyard after feeling that tug on the back  :)
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Billy

I attached the magnet release to the hoop of the net with a couple of heavy duty tie-wraps which keeps the net way out of reach of the undergrowth. I did try attaching it to the metal ring at the handle but it was turning and attaching itself to the ring rather than the other end of the mag-release.

The lanyard is hooked onto one of the clips of my waistcoat or rucksac for security. As usual it takes a bit of messing about before you get it right to suit your own preferences.

Billy

Wildfisher

The McLean nets are not cheap these days but worth thinking about if fishing big fish waters like the Don. It also makes a good boat net.

http://www.sportfish.co.uk/mclean-telescopic-hinged-handle-weigh-fishing-net.html?gclid=CKb998-t3sICFWfkwgodj7wAmA

scoobyscott

ThNks for all the input, my minds made up I will go for a wooden scoop net. Fred I think the McLean net is too big especially for the size of fish I catch!!
East wind I think you're right, he had stuff he wants to shift and seen an opportunity. If I get a pile of crap I'll be taking it right back anyway.
Billy that sounds a good setup I had my last net the other way round and as you say the magnet kept catching the ring as opposed to the other magnet.
Alex that was a belter of a fish  :8)

east wind

Quote from: Billy on December 24, 2014, 07:00:41 AM
As usual it takes a bit of messing about before you get it right to suit your own preferences.

Billy

Aye, and a fair choice of nets.

I sometimes use a bigger net. A hinged, non-extendable McLean type. I drilled a hole at the end of the handle and fitted a metal ring. Folded in towards the wading jacket It's broad enough to be stable and the weight of the frame stops it unfolding.
I reach over my shoulder and grab the handle and flick it open in one movement, with the lanyard behind the handle out the way. I find this useful if I'm ba deep midstream.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

Sometimes the net unfolds itself walking or jumping about. I've thought about fixing one of these to the handle where the hoop lies when folded to keep it in place till needed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PACK-OF-25-SPRING-CLIPS-TOOL-STORAGE-TERRY-SIZES-9MM-38MM-/400601486675

Mark

East wind, where did you get the magnetic holder?  Is it a good strong hold?

Wildfisher

Watch what you buy Mark. For example. the Snowbee ones  are fine for lightweight wooden scoop nets but are useless for anything else. I use these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LANDING-NET-MAGNET-MAGNETIC-RELEASE-CLIP-WITH-CARABINA-BLACK-OR-BLUE-/331391051899?pt=UK_BOI_Packing_Postal_Supplies_Labels_LE&var=&hash=item4d2872287b

They are pretty good. Obliviously if you jump off a high bank the jerk when you land will separate  the pole pieces, but for normal use they are fine. A good lanyard is essential, especially on The Tay  :lol:

Mark

Ha, yes a lanyard helps on the Tay   :shock:
Thanks thought some would be poor...wanted one which wouldn't come apart every time I caught it on a bush/balsam jungle, which on the Isla is the entire river I think

east wind

Quote from: markirv on December 24, 2014, 01:05:47 PM
East wind, where did you get the magnetic holder?  Is it a good strong hold?

That one is an Orvis, can't remember where I got it. Seems to have ramped up a bit in price http://www.sportfish.co.uk/orvis-magnetic-fishing-net-holder.html

It was recommended to me and it is pretty strong. It holds the aluminium frame on a fairly big net easily but still succumbs to bushes and fences.

Wildfisher

I bought a bunch of them, fitted one to each of my nets and the other pole pieces to my rucksack and a few to my vests, one at the back of the neck and one at the sides. Complete flexibility.

Note:  It's important to get the poles right. :lol:

Go To Front Page