News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Whisky Reviews

Started by SoldierPmr, April 17, 2015, 09:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobfly

Dates, apricot and caraway .... on yer bike !!!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

SoldierPmr

I like a nice smokey Islay. I got a bottle of Smoke head the other week. For me it's one to avoid personally. I found it very young tasting if that's a way of describing it with a sort of alcohol burn after taste. Laphroaig and Ardbeg have nothing to worry about here. I find Laphroaig select fairly weak tasting compared to the 10 year old but I'd take that over Smoke head any day.

Another whisky where marketing is more important than the product I think.

superscot

Lads as a daily drinker if you do have one dram you must try this Ledaig Sinclair Series Rioja Cask Finish. At just over £30 quid a bottle its a star buy.

burnie

Quote from: SoldierPmr on April 25, 2023, 11:18:03 PM
I like a nice smokey Islay. I got a bottle of Smoke head the other week. For me it's one to avoid personally. I found it very young tasting if that's a way of describing it with a sort of alcohol burn after taste. Laphroaig and Ardbeg have nothing to worry about here. I find Laphroaig select fairly weak tasting compared to the 10 year old but I'd take that over Smoke head any day.

Another whisky where marketing is more important than the product I think.
The select is very young whisky, not my taste at all, to make up for short supplies due to mis planning most distilleries' are chucking out no age statement bottles for the most part un drinkable for me, I don't them too old, but there's no character of the distillery in these young 'uns, 8 to 15 years old are right for my taste. There are some fine whisky with no age statement Laphroaig Quarter Cask a case in point, but that is mostly over 5 years old. Select is mostly under 5.

arawa

Crawhin

Quote from: superscot on April 26, 2023, 09:49:17 PM
Lads as a daily drinker if you do have one dram you must try this Ledaig Sinclair Series Rioja Cask Finish. At just over £30 quid a bottle its a star buy.

That looks good Superscot - I do like a Ledaig dram. Do you know who's stocking these at the moment?   

Ian

burnie

Quote from: arawa on April 26, 2023, 10:33:42 PM
I don't mind paying for a decent bottle but that is a bit salty to buy on spec!
They've built a brand new distillery and cafe, which is also expensive, think they are trying to re-coup their outlay quickly.

superscot

QuoteThat looks good Superscot - I do like a Ledaig dram. Do you know who's stocking these at the moment?   

Ian

Amazon

Jon

Quote from: Crawhin on April 26, 2023, 11:42:41 PMThat looks good Superscot - I do like a Ledaig dram. Do you know who's stocking these at the moment?   

Ian

Plenty to go at here.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/search?q=ledaig

Jon

Currently have a bottle of this on the go. Bought for me as a birthday treat. I'd agree with the tasting notes that it's a grown up fruit cake in a glass. One for the sherry cask whisky fans.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/9731/glendronach-15-year-old-revival-sherry-cask

Go To Front Page