News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Lines

Started by breac, July 31, 2004, 10:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

breac

Any one else taken in by all this fly line hype? I have mainly bought mill ends since plastic lines came in  I started with a Kingfisher level line, and then a Gallion tapered terylene line that was brilliant 'til the plastic coating wore of, when Leeda took over they stopped the tapered terylene, from then on it was mill ends, but I broke with the trend and bought a very expensive Lee Wulf 4/5 clear inter, a waste of time and money for me,  so I am back to the Dt millends, I can buy at least 12 for the price of the wulff
What are other peoples perceptions of this,  or is it just me or my poor casting? :oops: breac

Wildfisher

It is difficult to be absolute about lines as different lines  perform better with different rods. All I will say is this. Price is NO indication of quality or usability. The worst line I have is a ?50 Hardy?s  sink tip. Once of the best I have used was a Shakespeare Professional ? at ?8.99 from Sportsmail!

For the kind of fishing I do, Daiwa rods and cheap lines are adequate. Perhaps if bank fishing on a busy southern reservoir a ?500 Sage rod coupled with a 60 quid line would give me the extra yards I needed to reach the stupid rainbows that were moving out with my normal casting range. I am always wary of ?gear tests? in magazines, especially for rods as 9 times out of 10 they recommend the fast actioned 300 quid barge pole that is more suited to southern stockie bashing than it is to the kind of fishing I do.

Having said all that though, I guess there is more than one type of angler and while I am happy enough to drive to the loch in my old  beat up Nissan Primera and flex my Daiwa rod, many might not be!

Boxer

It seems to be a bit of a lottery. The best line  I have (now on son's rod)  is a Shakespeare -  bright orange, think it was called a Glider - ?15  some years ago. I presently use the cheapest Airflo floater I could get at John Norris - about ?22 and a lovely line - at least it suits my rod. I've had  rubbish mill ends that seemed to be  coated in glue and which refused to shoot out through  the rings and also some not bad ones. For choice I would probably go (if they still make lines) for  a Shakespeare in the ?15-20  range.
Incidentally Breac I was in your area last week camping with my son. We fitted in a few hours at Loch na Beiste beside Laide. Saw one and caught none. I was suffering a cold all week and stood with rain and snot dribbling from the end of my nose in equal quantities. I will go back when in a better frame of mind as I thought there might be fish about. All of which is nothing to do with lines, but there you go!

Boxer

That explains the structure drawn up on the side of the loch. A  wooden frame with what were probably some sort of feeder drums attached. The only beast  up there was myself.
Cheers.

breac

:lol: also means loch of the otter, next time walk past there and head out to Greenstone to Loch an Eoin it has decent fish try also the other lochs in the area, some good fishing for young lads, back to lines, I've bought some expensive lines and been totally disappointed that Lee  Wulff was a case in point,at ?55 I could have bought 15 lines from Mullarkeys and still had a bit of change  Norrises do a fair clear inter for ?12 does the trick
I splice a  5ft poly leader to it and get a rare fine tip, and it turns over no bother,   breac

Wildfisher

An interesting legend about Loch na Beiste ? ?loch of the monster?.

The supernatural creature was often visible, appearing even to some elders of the church on a Sunday morning. This  audacity so terrified the locals   it was decided that the loch must be drained. But the loch could not be, so instead they took a boat out over the monster?s lair in a deep hole in the middle of the loch and with much trepidation emptied 14 barrels of lime out  at this spot.

The monster has not been seen since that day.

Boxer

I sometimes see strange creatures on Sunday morning, but this may  be linked to my Saturday night alcohol consumption.  Perhaps the church elders had similar difficulties.
I   hope this is all helping with your line  query Breac.

breac

8) does mrs Pocaman know about all those lines? :roll: Breac

Fishtales

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Go To Front Page