News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

i've seen what it's like on the carp side; and it ain't pretty

Started by corsican dave, September 23, 2016, 01:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I am genuinely puzzled why there are so many tossers go fishing. Seriously.  There appears to be levels of envy and bombastic blowhardism I have seldom seen in other hobbies. On the other  hand you also meet some of the best people you could hope to meet anywhere. The worst in my experience are usually  middle aged working class men who are or have been involved in the competitive scene and take it all very seriously.   It's only  fishing FFS!     :lol:

fergie

The police can trace them if its on social media. I think.
Get them named shamed and banged up for a few months that would clear their heads a bit.
By the way on a coarse fishing forum i frequent ive heard the owner has admitted it was brought on the record size before stocking so its now a " farmed fish" not eligible to be classed a record. :roll:

corsican dave

as you all know, I'm very fond of a carp ( :lol:) but my recent experiences exploring the modern carp-fishing world have, generally speaking been a deeply depressing experience, culminating in seeing the vile reaction to this guy's record fish today.

we take a, hopefully purely mischievous, delight in poking fun at the stockie bashers of the trout world. however, I would hope that none of us seriously view our wild fishing exploits as superior; just different &,to us, more enjoyable. similarly we take the same delight in catching 4oz bandies as we do in catching whumpers (I wish... :roll:) and we celebrate the success of our fellow anglers rather than denigrate their achievements. Certainly the folks that I know do, anyway.

What I find most amazing about this latest issue in the modern carp world is the ignorance and hypocrisy. All the comment and criticism of this poor guy have come from people doing exactly the same as him; fishing commercial fisheries that've been stocked with fish for them to catch. They can't see the irony in their negative remarks. The previous record holder apparently spent three years "hunting" his huge fish. Well, if you can describe lurking around the same stockie pond for days on end waiting for a fish you know is in there to take your bait as hunting.....

is it any more worthy or laudable than this week's new record? Nope. Except it took the guy a bit longer, I suppose

but, both guys were unquestionably fishing and both caught impressively large fish; & more importantly they were having fun. And this is what we should be celebrating.

unfortunately this is not the way of the modern commercial carp scene..... :(
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

fergie

Remember the furious reaction oh a right few years back when Deviant springs owner Nigel something bred a huge bar coded brown trout in a heated pool to just over the record at the time . Stocked and advertised it a few days later the unfortunate creature was all over the angling press and probably the national papers too. :lol:

rannoch raider

Have a look at the drone shot of the tiny fishery with all the pegs next to one and other. Quite possibly the last place on earth I'd choose to fish. I can't see the buzz in that sort of fishing whatever size the fish are grown to ! When you look at that venue and listen to all the abuse and controversy that surrounds the capture of this fish it does make you realise how lucky we are to have so many wild waters up here.

corsican dave

Quote from: rannoch raider on September 23, 2016, 11:06:32 PM
Have a look at the drone shot of the tiny fishery with all the pegs next to one and other. Quite possibly the last place on earth I'd choose to fish. I can't see the buzz in that sort of fishing whatever size the fish are grown to ! When you look at that venue and listen to all the abuse and controversy that surrounds the capture of this fish it does make you realise how lucky we are to have so many wild waters up here.
precisely, Jim.
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Bobfly

Quite near to me is one of not very many coarse fisheries in Scotland with a number of species in the old gravel workings. The owner had problems with some anglers from Eastern Europe who kept the fish rather than return them per the fishery rules. Signs were put up in English but the problem remained as the anglers "could not understand" ... so signs were put up in English and in Polish and now the owner is facing charges of discrimination after complaints were made.   :shock: :shock:
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

fergie

I'm sure the same type of signs are now very common in areas of England.
Surely this wont be taken seriously. ?

Wildfisher

Quote from: Bobfly on September 23, 2016, 11:53:35 PM
... so signs were put up in English and in Polish and now the owner is facing charges of discrimination after complaints were made. 
Quite right. As an English speaker I find no fishing signs in English very offensive.  :roll:

bibio1

It is very sad. whilst the accolade catching that fish is not something we would really wish for some people do crave notoriety.

Just goes to show how lucky we are in both this community and the availability of fishing. long may it continue.

cheers

paul

Go To Front Page