News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

C & R - Crime & Reality?

Started by corsican dave, March 27, 2017, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

an interesting perspective from Germany on catch & release and the ethics of stocking. beautifully shot, too.
https://vimeo.com/199440550
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

Excellent.

C&R illegal.  :roll: That is exactly  the kind of lunacy you end up with if you elect lunatic lentil munching neo-Marxist fuckwits, very often also referred to  as Greens.  It's also illegal in Switzerland  once again Greens wielding  disproportionate influence.  I once discussed this with a Swiss angler on The Don. He said most anglers just ignore it.  Fish are very slippery.

Bobfly

Some very good pointers there. Good to see the different views and the differences in the breeding.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

loch coulter

Some intelligent observations in this, however not sure about stocking rainbows.

Lochan_load

Enjoyable video. Playing devils advocate here but would stocking rainbows not give people the opportunity to take the odd fish for the table and make them easy to differentiate from the native fish as opposed to a stocked brownie which people might struggle with.

Bobfly

I can see that having some fish totally different allows for catch and keep but the river must have some sort of finite food supply so the other natives cannot get what the rainbows have used up and that must have an effect on their growth and breeding capabilty.

burnie

English chalk streams are now mostly "wild" brownies and stocked rainbows, seems to work there and the brownies are all returned.(I say "wild" as there has been decades of stocking, don't think they removed stockies to allow any rare remaining brownies to flourish.)

Bobfly

Many of those English chalk stream rivers will be pretty rich feeding and well ahead of these alpine rivers. Those ones might struggle a bit in comparison but they are certainly closely monitoring what is going on which has to be admired compared to over here.

desmondo

Beautiful short film and gets one thinking.
I am almost 100% C&R and like to think that the released fish have a lot better chance of survival than being chapped, obviously, but more importantly it gives the anglers behind more opportunity to catch a fish. For sure some fish might perish from stress, handling, bleeding etc but fish die naturally as well and their remains become part of the river/loch cycle.
I appreciate there are polar views and I can accept killing if the fish are to be eaten. We all know that is sometimes far from the case. Let the debate continue.

corsican dave

Quote from: desmondo on March 29, 2017, 09:39:49 PM
Beautiful short film and gets one thinking.
I  like to think that the released fish have a lot better chance of survival than being chapped,
pretty much a given, i would say  :wink:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page