News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Social media superstars?

Started by sagecirca, April 09, 2017, 02:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inchlaggan

Thank you for sharing Tony.
I don't think we have drifted much off-topic.
Bragging of fish caught has been a major part of angling since it all began, the means may have changed, but not the impetus.
Eejits that record their own mishandling of fish are guilty of two stupidities, but there is no cure for that.
It is easy to jump on the downside of t'interweb (and there is no denying it exists) but the upside also exists.
On topic, the "social media superstars" can be identified (on social media) and their errors illuminated and explained for all to see. This may not alter their attitude, but then nor would half an hour's vigorous exercise with a four foot length of 4x4. But it might inform others.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

ianmck

Facebook in it's original guise was actually really useful and fairly social. You used to be connected as part of an organisation or group, such as a university. You also couldn't post things on your own page for the sake of attention seeking. You could only post up on someone elses page thus the whole social point of social media. Unfortunately when the status thing and newsfeed was introduced, it descended into nothing more than ego stroking attention seeking behaviour with people getting dopamine highs off of every "like". The science of it is actually quite interesting, the brain responding in a similar fashion as to the habit and behaviour of substance abusers.

Social media, or online whoring as it should be known has moved on though. Instagram and twitter are absolute abominations  :lol:

Laxdale

Social media is for taking the p!ss out of people.
I try and take fishy pictures, s long as there is no danger of the phone going for a swim.
The first time I was told "no picture, no proof" was on a well known beat on the Spey one March. This was by a quite elderly ghillie who was fed up of people who were unsure what a kelt looked like.
So I rolled up at lunchtime just after catching my first ever spring salmon.
I dutifully pulled out my phone and showed him a picture of what looked like a sandeel (oops, taken from the wrong angle).
Fortunately picture number two showed the fish to be the fat pig it was.
The ghille`s eyebrows returned to their normal position from the top of his head.
Great memory of a great trip for me, as I went on to catch a salmon on each of the following two days.
Apparently catching a salmon on each of the Castle Grant beats on consecutive days almost never happens, let alone in March.

It is also possible to have a great laugh on social media, by sending anglers on wild geese chases. A friend is keen on photography and is a computer whizz. So we photoshopped pictures to mke it look like we had been fishing where we had not so the lemmings went to try places for us!

Bobfly

I have never had anything to do with Twitter or Facebook or Instagram and any kind of whatever else stuff there is.
Does this mean that I can count myself as an "Anti-Social Media Superstar"?  :shock:
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

Quote from: Bobfly on April 10, 2017, 12:17:07 PM
Does this mean that I can count myself as an "Anti-Social Media Superstar"?  :shock:

I can see right through your game here Vaughan.

Social media  is really anti-social media so calling yourself an Anti-Social Media Superstar is like saying anti-Anti-Social Media Superstar which after simplifying by cancellation of like terms suggests you are a superstar.

Nice try.   :lol:

johnny boy

I got my Uncle onto Facebook a short while back, he keeps in contact with my Nephews who lived with him for a few years but are now back on the mainland.  If people used Facebook for this sort of thing then no one would deny it was a good tool for such things.

I have had a FB account for over 7 years, I needed to create a profile to register for my 40th reunion, I have posted about 4 posts since, guess that tells you what I think of it.

If it were not for FB then these attention seekers would be somewhere else screaming for attention, leave them on FB, that way they don't interfere with my life and vice versa.

Highlander

I for my sins have no contact with Facebook or any other form of "social media".
I do not use it, I do not look at it. Never have & never will.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

superscot

Well for me as a user I find FaceBook ok it has helped me get back in touch with guys who i lost touch with over 40 odd years ago we now meet up on a regular basis and talk about all the teenage years and how things are today .....as for fish photos on FB i really dont bother about them if they are there i look if not well have missed nothing

aliferste

Quote from: Highlander on April 10, 2017, 06:39:28 PM
.... or any other form of "social media".
I do not use it, I do not look at it. Never have & never will.

Tight Lines

I hate to say it however you are on it right now :-)

Highlander

Generally a Forum is categorised by topics, people follow the topics that they are interested in and create threads of discussions.  In a forum there is no concept of followers and followings.

Social Network has the concept of followers and followings and friends, this is the  foundation of it.

:tongue2
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page