News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

loch ba

Started by andy m, April 13, 2017, 07:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy m

going up to loch ba the morn, was thinking could it be to soon into the season for fishing it. this will be my second time fishing loch ba. first time last season in september fished the shore down on the side of the boat house .walked a fair bit down before fishing caught one about 6 oz and had another one on for a few seconds that took right at my feet before shaking the hook this was a very good trout around the 2lb mark big spotted yellow belly. was thinking the morn trying the other side which would be the south shore i think. has anyone here tried that shore . nice loch but there was loads of rubbish beer tins folding chairs discarded tents on the north shore. will let you know how it goes cheers andy m

Inverguseran

Unfortunately Loch Ba does get a lot of Neanderthals who leave lots of rubbish lying around. Give the loch on the other side of the road a try as well.

Lochan_load

There's loads of fishing up there but for whatever reason the ba is the one that gets the most attention, If it was me id fish some of the others. The lochs just further up and across the road from the ski centre are a bit more of a walk but you don't see the same litter.

Clan Chief

I've fished the wee lochs across from the ski centre many times in the past. Caught loads of wee fish which was great fun with the Big Etive Shepherd watching over me! . Its quite a setting! 

Lochan_load

Achlaise is nice to fish and good for a wander round.....you're right Alan the attraction of gaineamhach and the others is the setting, stunning and quiet in equal measure, the fish have never been that big but plenty of them and I did see a clunker down there one day.

ianmck

You can judge early season fishing up there by how much snow is left on the hills  :lol:

I've had mixed luck up there in april. I generally wait for a warmer spell. The main problem is that at this time of year it's usually still dropping to freezing every night.

Not to upset the traditionalists but I've spoken to plenty of people who swear there's nothing bigger than 1/2 lb in ba with the average much smaller than that. They generally all fished near the roadside and stripped wets all day long.  :worms I started catching a better size of fish when I switched to big dries, although bandies take dries too..... :lol:

You'll no doubt catch a 5lber now on a peter ross  :8)

Fishtales

You might catch a hatch of big black buzzers. A Black Pennell, Blae and Black and Black Pupae on #10's should bring some fish.

The black dots surrounding this Stonechat are big black buzzers. Image taken in April.

The weather was a bit better that weekend though :)

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

Was that the weekend we were there Sandy? 

Fishtales

Quote from: admin on April 14, 2017, 10:08:34 AM
Was that the weekend we were there Sandy?

It is Fred. The Loch Ba Argos Tent Rally :)

Johnsd, Richy and you.

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Highlander

Like Element I too fished from a inflatable but many years ago. Never ever saw anyone else doing it at that time. Like a few have said a better class of fish can be caught well out from the banks. I had a Avon Rover 10ft boat. We parked near the wee abandoned quarry & carried it across the heather maybe 100yds
Bit difficult to negotiate the numerous underwater boulders but if you took you time it was more than do able. They are not sharp so the inflatable could bump them with little more than a few cosmetic scuffs.
Trout averaged 1/2 lb but a couple of 3/4-1lb fish came to hand too. Flies that did well for me were a Red Tag & a Murray's Bluebottle. Was a long time ago though guys early 80s. Always missed my jaunts to Baa.
Tight Lines

PS best method in my youth was the Baggie Minnow but we will not go down that road this time.
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page