News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Making A Wild Fishing Film – A Brainstormer

Started by Wildfisher, April 16, 2017, 10:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

We have discussed this briefly in the past. I have just about all of the gear I need (and hopefully most of the editing skills) to shoot and produce a high quality fishing based film.

This is not about advertising locations (who the wants to do that?) but more about producing  something of decent quality and general interest. I have some of my own ideas for this and how to go about it and I'd like to hear about any ideas you might have.

Like any project on any subject it would have to be well planned and scripted at least the basic framework anyway.

All the best fishing books, films etc I have seen have been based around fishing  rather than being exclusively about fishing. Lots of background, nature etc and have some kind of plot and theme.

So what might your ideas be? 

aliferste

SoldierPmr

I've been watching Paul G's series on YouTube I know its about tenkara but massive portions of it are interviews with the Japanese talking about how they got started and other things but after 2 minutes I loose interest. Its nice that they have gone to the effort of this but for me its not what I want to watch. I'd rather see the practical side on skills on the water a 15 minute video of constant fishing and talking about the technique being used is far better to me than 50 mins of interview and 3 minutes of fishing.  That's my opinion and I'm sure others will disagree.

I also watched another YouTube vid of a chap fishing a small stream in Yorkshire again not a lot of fishing but a lot of what's going on around grey wagtail tree creeper etc. Here's the but he spent too long on this stuff and you didn't see much fishing. I think its about creating an even balance.

Now don't get me wrong I'll be the first to say I'm interested in all things nature as you will probably know but when I'm looking to watch a fishing programme I don't want the host to side track onto dead trees with multiple fungus growing off it and holding the camera there for 5 minutes or using the wag tail again for 3 minutes when its not doing anything of interest. If its fishing it should be fishing focused and anything else should be included but not as a main feature.

burnie

Humour needs to be in there somewhere and a good soundtrack in parts too, for me fishing is not just about the fish, it's a whole atmosphere.

tomcatin

Not sure that this will help, but I have seen lots of videos of (obviously) trout fishing on Scottish rivers and a lot about habitat improvement/pressures which is something I am interested in (diffuse pollution, predation, bank stabilisation, removal of impoundments, abstraction, stopping beasts poach rivers etc etc). I not sure I have ever seen a video that linked the issues.

A classic case in point would be Loch Leven; it has had it all old classic fishery, diffuse pollution, decline, terrible management decisions (over stocking/rainbow), cormorant predation,  return to wild fishery and continued improvement.

Similar stories abound on the industrial rivers of Central Scotland?
Sadly my 7' 5 weight that killed fascists is deceased!

So in respect and in memorium, PLEASE DONATE TO AND SUPPORT THE WILD FISHING FORUM

Wildfisher

sagecirca

Great idea Fred.

I always liked the way Oliver Edwards went about his programmes.  I like the idea of tying a fly, then showing how to fish it, what kind of water you are looking for and hopefully show it catching as well!

Wildfisher

Quote from: sagecirca on April 16, 2017, 10:50:49 PM
I always liked the way Oliver Edwards went about his programmes.

They had a good balance. I really enjoyed his films.

I'll need to go out and buy a Morris Traveler!    :lol:

rannoch raider

The 'Passion for Angling' series featuring the brothers Yates was one of my favourites. it was just so natural and easy going. I think the narrator as well as those in the film actually speaking is a good format. I always like to know the purpose of the film from the start and its always better if its a challenge to find and catch by a particular technique. the failures are as interesting as the victories but no Robson Green style tantrums please ! :lol:

Robbie

I also liked the Olive Edwards programmes. I find many of the videos really just show you a couple of pieces of stunning scenery, a few rising fish, few arty shots of insects or flies in or on the water and then a series of scenes of people stiking into fish and subsequent screaming reels.

A more general instructional plot would be more attractive to my self, a background commentary describing details of the water shown where fish are likely to be lying, why a certain approach was used. In this resect use of a drone could be good to give an overview of a stretch of water, highlighting area of interest, fish lies etc. Then progress onto more conventional camera work for the actual fishing.

I would also agree that additional information on local flora and fauna is great to include but should be fishing related.

Go To Front Page