News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Green Mucilin - May Damage Fly Lines ?

Started by Bobfly, April 20, 2017, 04:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobfly

There was a recent magazine article about maybe twenty assorted fly dressings and floatants. Mucilin Red and Green were mentioned as you would expect. Red does everything ... flies, leaders, lines. Green is intended for flies, and would also do leaders I would suppose. However, there is then a "may damage fly lines" as a warning for the Green.
The only difference that I am aware of is that on the label the Green has silicone in the mix. I was left wondering why the Green Mucilin would damage fly lines if silicone is the only difference. Is silicone likely to cause damage to a PVC coating? Would it react with some of the waterphobic surface additives and suchlike that may be in some newer line types?

Any chemists out there ?
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Inchlaggan

(one time biochemist)
Silicones - there are many- exhibit low chemical reactivity. That is why they have so many uses in medicine.
IMHO silicones would not damage a fly line.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

Used both red and green Mucilin for years, no evidence of damage at all.

Bobfly

Me too, so I wondered why there was a damage warning for the Green.
That said, I do wonder why I have a little green tub when the Red does everything  :roll:
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Billy

This might be a stupid question. Probably is coming from me.

How do you use it?
I have had tubs of this for years and never used it.
The only thing I can think is that you take a pinch out and mix it with water or am I talking bollox as usual.

Billy

Wildfisher

Quote from: Roobarb on April 21, 2017, 08:47:28 AM
So for me it is just another bit of clutter from a bygone age.

I use it on uni thread furled leaders. If you use Barrio or Snowbee  floating lines  you will also need it to keep the tip floating. 

Wildfisher

I think you  have to spend at least £50-£60 and buy SA or RIO to get a line that floats right to the tip 100% of the time. For loch fishing it does not matter though and in fact a sinking tip might be an advantage.

Billy

Wet or dry?

The tubs I have of the stuff are a dry powder.
I did think of adding glycerine to make it into a paste and give that a try.

Billy

Robbie

The red Mucilin I have has a waxy texture, seems to melt on warm finger tips. Keeps dries floating pretty well, never used it on casts or fly lines.

Highlander

Red was used on Kingfisher Silk Lines & is still recommended by the manufactures (Phoenix) who  make them.
Does Green (Silicone) damage modern lines? I really do not know but I doubt it but then again I only use it to grease up a furled leader if I want it to float & occasionally to for a fly. For flies there are other better products out there. I know rod builders & in particular cane avoid silicone like the plague. Likewise car polishers but I am not party as to why. Possibly leaves a residue that inhibits other things like polish or varnish.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page