News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Growing basil indoors

Started by sagecirca, June 06, 2017, 01:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagecirca

I should state that I am in no way green fingered but it's in my genes I guess as my old man and his old man are and were very keen gardeners.  I was at the shops the other day and bought a little wooden box with 3 metal herb pots.  I quite like the idea of growing a few herbs indoors such as basil which I use a lot for pastas etc. 

Had a quick look on google but thought I'd ask on here if anyone has done something similar.  Speaking to a work colleague there, he suggested buying basil plants therefore I can start using them immediately.  Or should I plant the seeds and start from scratch?

I have no idea about feeding said plants, soil types, whether my pots need to have drainage holes etc...so all hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Wildfisher

This late in the year I'd buy plants. Basil is not hardy, so if you are planting it outside harden it off then plant it out in July.

sagecirca

Thanks guys.  I'll buy the plants from my nearest supermarket.  What do you mean by 'pinch out the tips'? Also, do I need to feed them or is it just water?

burnie

This is for tomaotes, but the same principle applies, a bit of Bio or growmore in the pot might help, scrounge it from a gardener rather than buy a lot of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z4qixqLCj0

sagecirca

Ah that makes sense!  So by pinch then do I just cut the tip of the plant off or nip it so I decompress the stem?  Sorry probably a daft question but I have never grown anything in my puff before  :D

Thanks for all the tips lads...much appreciated

sagecirca

Quote from: burnie on June 06, 2017, 02:34:08 PM
This is for tomaotes, but the same principle applies, a bit of Bio or growmore in the pot might help, scrounge it from a gardener rather than buy a lot of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z4qixqLCj0

Thanks Burnie that explains everything.  Many thanks

Go To Front Page