News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

knots

Started by breac, August 18, 2004, 10:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breac

:)  I have been using the same basic knots for years now, either the 3 turn water knot or a 4/5  turn blood knot  using,  the super strength stuff i use a water knot, but twice the other day I was broken at the Knot on the top dropper, there just average hill loch trout in this loch 1/2-3/4 lbs and I was using 5lb super strength so there should have been no probs, this was bought new this year, I have not had this problem with ordinary nylon as long as I check the  knot hinge point , I was broken on 2 new casts the other day, even lubricating the knots as I draw them up, any one else
finding similar problems or is it old age :shock: breac

Wildfisher

I use 3 turn water knots too, and ? bloods for tying on the flies. I have been using a lot of flourocarbon over the past 2 seasons and have never had so many breaks. Its shock resistance is crap. Had a similar problem with ?Stroft? ( a co-polymer I think) but that was due to blood knots, don?t have the same problem if I use water knots. Nothing beats ordinary nylon for knot strength and I am drifting back towards it more and more, wonder if we are not just conned with all that fancy new stuff?

Pearly Invicta

The worst stuff I used is Trilene. I use Airflo Fluoro now but it took a lot getting used to- I got loads of break offs to begin with. Lubricating the knot properly and not tightening the knot too hard (let the fish do it) certainly helps.
I also sometimes use the wee leader rings but they're only of any use if you make your leaders up beforehand- too fiddly otherwise.

I went back to maxima gut in desperation but I find I get more takes on difficult waters with the flouro- and I use different stuff with a higher BS.

Wildfisher

Anyone use the clear Maxima? The brown stuff really is ?brown stuff? in very clear water

By the way, Allan, the green Maxima you speak of, was recommended to me by regulars at the Durness limestone lochs, so I guess if it catches there it will work anywhere.

breac

I always used Shakespeare Omni but havent seen it for a while, I am inclined to go back to nylon, The Drennan stuff was quite good, but it,s nice to know that I am not the only one to have problems, breac

breac

You are right about the shine , but it never seemed to be that much of a problem, I'm usually fishing the uneducated lochs  may be thats why it didn't matter so much, in a big ripple you could fish much any thing, I once had a bad batch of Maxima so I tend to steer clear ( no Pun) of it, probably been in the shop window but it does make you wary, breac

Go To Front Page