News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Stroft Tippet Material

Started by rannoch raider, December 19, 2017, 07:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rannoch raider

I'm going to throw out all of last years old tippet materials and refresh the bag with some new stuff for the coming season. Does anyone use any of the Stroft tippets, if so what's your thoughts on that or any other type that's been impressing you?

scoobyscott

I've used stroft abr and like it. Small diameter for bs and not too expensive. I use it for tippet when fishing dries between tapered leader and fly. For nymphing I got put onto shogun off eBay. Really low diameter for bs and very strong. Oh and about 2.50 for 150 metres!!

haresear

I tried Stroft a good few years back. I had a few unexpected break offs so I ditched it in favour of Rio Powerflex which I use for most of my dry fly and nymph fishing.
For pulling flies, heavy nymphing and when using very big dries such as tarantulas etc. I just use coarse fishing mono or spinning mono.

Alex
Protect the edge.

rannoch raider

I've always had a thing about clear mono or at least clear'ish'. Not sure how much it matters ?

haresear

Quote from: rannoch raider on December 19, 2017, 11:38:58 PM
I've always had a thing about clear mono or at least clear'ish'. Not sure how much it matters ?

Same here Jim on both counts.

Alex
Protect the edge.

arawa

I have gone back to Maxima after discovering that several of my exotica tippets were rotten last season (not the whole spools just in some sections which in a way was worse). If I am using a manufactured tapered leader then Rio have not yet let me down.
Another problem, that I accept is down to deficiencies in my casting, is the soft and fine flouros were giving me more wind knots than Maxima so any advantage of invisibility was more than matched by the disadvantage of lost fishing time undoing tangles.

scoobyscott

Ultragreen is very good it's just very thick although I did get a few grayling on dries in September off the tweed using it. I tend to use maxima when loch fishing or filling mill flouro

sagecirca

I solely use ABR for everything on the river.  Prefer it over GTM solely due to colour. I've been using the LS version for winter Grayling fishing.  I had half a season using orvis super strong but soon switched back to ABR.

haresear

Quote from: sagecirca on December 20, 2017, 11:08:38 AM
I solely use ABR for everything on the river.  Prefer it over GTM solely due to colour. I've been using the LS version for winter Grayling fishing.  I had half a season using orvis super strong but soon swditched back to ABR.

Assuming you are using your usual half blood knot, have you not had any problems with the knot slipping David?

Alex
Protect the edge.

sagecirca

Yep half blood knot with 4-5 turns depending on diameter.  Never had an issue (touch wood!).

Go To Front Page