News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Stroft Tippet Material

Started by rannoch raider, December 19, 2017, 07:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

Quote from: sagecirca on December 20, 2017, 02:27:59 PM
Yep half blood knot with 4-5 turns depending on diameter.  Never had an issue (touch wood!).

That is interesting. I have been using the uni knot for years now after having knotty problems with Frog Hair. The trouble with the uni knot is it leaves a single annoying kink near the fly (or at least it does the way I tie it).
I have been going to try the Davy knot as an alternative, but maybe I should be comparing the half blood against the Davy for knot strength.....

I will post my results in another thread.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Highlander

Stroft is not for me I tried a few spools when it first appeared on the scene some years back but soon found it to be wanting with a few unexplained breakages with larger fish (Rainbows) & quickly moved back to the more reliable nylon, maybe I just had a bad batch I don't know. Some like it but not me, today I only use Maxima & Drennan Sub Surface & have few if any bad things to say about these two.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

rannoch raider

I've been using Fulling Mill FC for for the last season and I've been reasonably satisfied with it. I have had the odd 'failure' for reasons unknown here and there and I've always had a wee niggly thought that while it is not too bad, it is still not 100 per cent reliable.
I think the Brown 'Chameleon' Maxima is a great line, the colour puts me right off. I've tried the clear Maxima but It isn't the same as the brown. The Finalists for me so far are the Rio Co Polymer, The Sigh tfree G3 and possibly one of the Stroft lines. I use fulling Mill tapered leaders and I'm wondering how compatible these various tippets will be for knotting with the FM leader? Does anyone do this or do you just construct a leader from your chosen material in different breaking strains or diameters ?
Forgot to add, I use Seagaur for pike and saltwater leaders and I try to use a palomar knot where possible. Never had any issues with it at all but I don't fancy it in smaller diameters.

sagecirca

Quote from: Highlander on December 20, 2017, 03:01:29 PM
Stroft is not for me I tried a few spools when it first appeared on the scene some years back but soon found it to be wanting with a few unexplained breakages with larger fish (Rainbows) & quickly moved back to the more reliable nylon, maybe I just had a bad batch I don't know. Some like it but not me, today I only use Maxima & Drennan Sub Surface & have few if any bad things to say about these two.

Tight Lines

I wouldn't use it for rainbows as they tend to smash take you and I think stroft fails easily if loaded that quickly.  On rivers that generally isn't an issue for me.

sagecirca

Quote from: haresear on December 20, 2017, 02:56:41 PM
That is interesting. I have been using the uni knot for years now after having knotty problems with Frog Hair. The trouble with the uni knot is it leaves a single annoying kink near the fly (or at least it does the way I tie it).
I have been going to try the Davy knot as an alternative, but maybe I should be comparing the half blood against the Davy for knot strength.....

I will post my results in another thread.

Alex

Never used any other knot Alex than the half blood knot.  I think we spoke about this at Camps?  I did very, very briefly try the rapala knot for nymphs when fishing in Bosnia as our guide reckoned it made the nymph move more like a natural but I didn't really persevere with it.  You need to show me the Davy knot when we are out next  :8)

sagecirca

Quote from: rannoch raider on December 20, 2017, 03:34:27 PM.....compatible these various tippets will be for knotting with the FM leader? Does anyone do this or do you just construct a leader from your chosen material in different breaking strains or diameters ?

As long as you reasonably step down in diameter from the end of the tapered leader to your tippet I don't see it being a problem.  I go from a 5X leader to a 6x tippet for most of my river fishing and in the height of summer and fishing wee, wee stuff I go from 6X to 7X.

rannoch raider

Yeah, I think that as long as the step down in diameter was not too steep then that wouldn't be an issue. I'm wondering how the different surfaces and densities of the materials would go. very hard to soft for instance.

haresear

Quote from: rannoch raider on December 20, 2017, 04:44:52 PM
Yeah, I think that as long as the step down in diameter was not too steep then that wouldn't be an issue. I'm wondering how the different surfaces and densities of the materials would go. very hard to soft for instance.

. If you use a water/surgeons knot you can knot thick to thin without any bother. Being old school I tend to think in pounds rather than diameters but I have successfully knotted 8lb to 4lb in the past with no problems.
That said I would be less confident knotting a FC butt section to  fine copolymer because FC is so stiff. In the reverse of that, which is more likely anyway, I wouldn't want a big step downbin diameter.

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

Quote from: sagecirca on December 20, 2017, 04:32:28 PM
Never used any other knot Alex than the half blood knot.  I think we spoke about this at Camps?  I did very, very briefly try the rapala knot for nymphs when fishing in Bosnia as our guide reckoned it made the nymph move more like a natural but I didn't really persevere with it.  You need to show me the Davy knot when we are out next  :8)

I will have to learn the Davy knot first myself :)
Aye, I remember at Camps res. being surprised that you had jad no problems with the old half blood on modern fine diameter lines, but hey if it works why try to fix it?
Protect the edge.

Billy

I use Maxima ultra green for all of my fishing.

A slight deviation from the thread but what is the best time for Camps. I have been in touch with Gerry White about fishing down there but I will be looking for more info in the new year.

Billy

Go To Front Page