News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Stroft Tippet Material

Started by rannoch raider, December 19, 2017, 07:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

Quote from: Billy on December 21, 2017, 08:36:28 AM
I use Maxima ultra green for all of my fishing.

A slight deviation from the thread but what is the best time for Camps. I have been in touch with Gerry White about fishing down there but I will be looking for more info in the new year.

Billy

I can't really help you Billy. I have fished the place a few times over the years but not regularly enough to see a pattern develop.
All I can say is that I have done best when there has been a hatch of olives. I would guess May might offer the best chance of seeing a  hatch, but I can't recall what time of year I have done best.
One of the members told me that fish are smaller these days than they used to be. That was my feeling tòo. When I first fished it I usually landed a few fish around 12oz to 1lb mark, but   IIan Millar says he only gets a pound fish every 40 or so fish these days. He puts that down to the fact that the bank was altered about 20 years ago by the bulldozers. Apparently it was all grassy banks until then.

Alex
Protect the edge.

arawa

This report is a little dated but I found it an interesting comparison of tippet material produced by what seem to be some pretty knowledgeable people.
https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/tippet-shootout-seaguar-grandmax-trouthunter-orvis-mirage-riopowerflex-pline-dairiki-varivas-sa-climax-maxima-froghair-stoft-umpqua

sagecirca

Quote from: arawa on December 21, 2017, 04:14:23 PM
This report is a little dated but I found it an interesting comparison of tippet material produced by what seem to be some pretty knowledgeable people.
https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/tippet-shootout-seaguar-grandmax-trouthunter-orvis-mirage-riopowerflex-pline-dairiki-varivas-sa-climax-maxima-froghair-stoft-umpqua

....won't bother with the davy knot then!

rannoch raider

Thanks for that. Great find, very interesting and informative. I like the sound of all three of the top three. I've ordered some Rio Powerflex and I'm sure I'll be happy with it. I might pick up a spool of FC for finer single dries as I can recall David (Sagecirca) handing me a fly to try that was so small that I couldn't get my 'tow rope' tippet through the eye. :shock: Sounds like tippet rings may be worth considering too ?

haresear

Quote from: sagecirca on December 21, 2017, 04:51:26 PM
....won't bother with the davy knot then!

:lol: :lol: Me too.

Actually I have just completed my own mini test. I used Powerflex 5x and did a quick comparison of the 3 turn uni knot vs the improved clinch (5 turn tucked half blood). I then did a much shorter test of the Uni knot v the Davy knot.

Uni v Tucked Half Blood...... The Uni eventually broke after it had defeated 5 Half Blood knots in a row. I suspect the nylon had eventually got stressed on the Uni knot. In 10 tests the Uni knot only failed that single time. Winner was undoubtedly the Uni knot for me at least.

Uni v Davy......I only needed to tie 3 Davy knots to confirm to myself that the Uni knot is stronger in that head to head too.

Maybe it's just how I tie them, but I find the Uni consistently stronger than the Clinch/Half Blood. I would be interested to see how others get on if they were to carry out a similar quick trial.

By the way, I was surprised not to see the Surgeons/Water knot in that Yellowstone Angler trial. The J knot looks like an interesting variation though.

I was surprised also to see the Blood knot mentioned in despatches as a front runner for joining tippet to leader. As an even quicker test I have just had a two turn Water knot see off two Blood knots in a quick head to head  :dunno

Alex

Protect the edge.

Lochan_load

You clearly have too much time on your hands Alex  :makefun
I've had my issues with knots over the years so I should probably put the time in. For what it's worth I use power flex 5x for fishing dry fly (at Alex's recommendation) it's good but I find I have to be careful knotting it. I use maxima of different breaking strains for everything else.
When I fished two dries last year on lochs I ended up using the maxima as well because I found it almost impossible to put a dropper on without the powerflex snapping, probably down to my lack of knotting skill though  :(

sagecirca

Stroft ABR lads....stop being puffs  :D

haresear

Quote from: sagecirca on December 22, 2017, 11:24:26 AM
Stroft ABR lads....stop being puffs  :D

I'll certainly give it a trial on your recommendation. In NZ however I will stick with what I use just now.

Quote from: Lochan_load on December 22, 2017, 10:56:53 AM

When I fished two dries last year on lochs I ended up using the maxima as well because I found it almost impossible to put a dropper on without the powerflex snapping, probably down to my lack of knotting skill though  :(

That's odd Andy. What knot did you use?

Alex

Protect the edge.

Bobfly

As much as claimed breaking strains it is the thinness of diameter that lets down fine monos. Folk have the idea that if I catch 10 fish from a boat using 4x or 3x then I am bound to catch 20 fish if I move to 5x because I can get the same strength now from the latest thinner mono. Staying with diameter is probably a better approach.

If you go down to finer diameter you must change your rod as well. Same rod but thinner tippets equals breakoffs.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

haresear

Quote from: Bobfly on December 22, 2017, 12:00:07 PM
As much as claimed breaking strains it is the thinness of diameter that lets down fine monos. Folk have the idea that if I catch 10 fish from a boat using 4x or 3x then I am bound to catch 20 fish if I move to 5x because I can get the same strength now from the latest thinner mono. Staying with diameter is probably a better approach.

If you go down to finer diameter you must change your rod as well. Same rod but thinner tippets equals breakoffs.

I don't fully agree with your statement about changing the rod Vaughan. I suspect you mean that the finer material has less stretch and so is more susceptible to breakage through sudden pressure being put on it? Maybe to a degree that is true when fishing with pulled wet flies, but in that situation I suspect most of us would prefer to use a more robust standard mono such as maxima.

When I use Powerflex etc., I will usually be fishing dries or sometimes light nymphs. In those situation smash takes are rare and I don't feel the need to change to a less powerful rod. The angler is in control of the rod and should be able to compensate.

I can accept that the finer diameter material increases the possibility of "bite offs" through the line contacting trouty teeth. It certainly gives more problems with frizzing up when tying knots, tangles more easily and once it has tangled it usually means binning it. But, like a certain hair product it is "worth it". :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page