News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What single thing would you change about Scottish fishing if you could?

Started by Wildfisher, September 17, 2018, 04:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I was going to  ask  what single thing about Scottish fishing do you dislike the most - but that's negative.  :lol:

What would you change?

Inchlaggan

I'd allow children under thirteen to fish (within season, and for trout) wherever they want (within reason) in the company of a responsible adult (who may not fish, simply instruct and assist) for free.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Lochan_load

The distance I have to travel to get north!  :lol:

Information can be difficult to get a hold of on where to acquire permission/ permits and you're quite often left trying to find someone who knows someone type of thing. This forum is invaluable for that. Hugo ross was a great help going to Caithness as he had permits and boats across a number lochs and clubs and info on any he didn't sell permits for.

arawa

burnie

haresear

Have a single rod licence which allows access to all and any waters. That is the case in New Zealand  (although there are are occasìonal problems with other anglers and individual land owners) and that is a major factor in why I go there to fish.
You decide on the day where you want to fish. If it is in spate, just move to another river. No problem.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on September 17, 2018, 06:25:18 PM
Have a single rod licence which allows access to all and any waters. That is the case in New Zealand  (although there are are occasìonal problems with other anglers and individual land owners) and that is a major factor in why I go there to fish.
You decide on the day where you want to fish. If it is in spate, just move to another river. No problem.

Alex

EXACTLY what I was going to post. It is the single biggest attraction of fishing in NZ for me.

Bobfly

But is that workable there because the angler numbers are quite low? If everyone here could shift at will or as a response to some Twitter post of some fresh fish run or whatever places could be mobbed.

A general national angling/access licence sensibly priced and all proceeds going to an independent angling conservation body with management control legislative teeth might fit the bill for here.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

I don't think it is workable here Vaughan but only because of ownership patterns and of course migratory fish and their laws even although they are in an irreversible death spiral. In NZ all fishing belongs to the people.

Bobfly

We have access here now for horse riding, mountain biking and so on. We can always dream. Includiing access in wording would give guidance to folk from outside Scotland ... and some Scots ... as to what is permissable. The question to address is what might we do for a single change. We only need to tell Jeremy that the people want to fish and it will surely be in the bag.  :roll:
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page