News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

North West Hotels

Started by arawa, April 21, 2021, 06:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arawa

I don't think it will be a surprise to most on here but there is not a lot of available hotel accommodation in NW Scotland this year. On the spur of the moment, I have just tried and failed to find anywhere for next week (after the 26th) and nor could I get rooms in 2 other hotels I wanted in May or early June. Checking online and speaking to receptionists, it seems many hotels are pretty full for most of the season already and more people are trying to book all the time.
One hotel that does have some availability after mid-May (but not when I wanted) is Scourie.
As an aside, a friend who manages a large Scottish hotel is having to defer reopening because many of his furloughed staff do not want to return!

Wildfisher

Ah the joys of furlough! Paid to sit on your arse at home doing sod al. What a gravy train for the work shy used to endless hand outs!  This is the  UK government's fault they should make it clear that if your employer wants you back you go back or you get no money. End of.  :roll:

caorach

I think it will really take off now the border is open as well David. I was booking in Ullapool for some trips up and down and while I don't have leave confirmed yet it seemed sensible to get a ferry booking/hotel booking in the can at an early stage. I got booked OK for two dates in June and two in the Autumn but one of the September dates required me to book a double room as there were no singles left. It was last Friday I made the bookings but I'm going to guess that this might already be a lot tighter by now. In one way it will be great to see tourist industries making some cash but it is somewhat unfair on "regulars" like yourself plus there doesn't seem to be any way of arranging things such that only "nice" people come :-) Good luck with getting something arranged, let me know if you are heading for Lewis.

On top of all this the Ullapool - Stornoway ferry is broken down and will be away for repairs for a good while leaving the crossing with very limited capacity so this is going to cause a lot of problems for islanders and for island businesses and I'd imagine anyone getting on one of the current crossings with a camper van is going to be pretty unpopular. Locals had made it clear the sort of service they needed but my understanding is the government dictated what they actually got and it hasn't ended well.

arawa

Quote from: caorach on April 21, 2021, 08:20:38 PM
I think it will really take off now the border is open as well David. I was booking in Ullapool for some trips up and down and while I don't have leave confirmed yet it seemed sensible to get a ferry booking/hotel booking in the can at an early stage. I got booked OK for two dates in June and two in the Autumn but one of the September dates required me to book a double room as there were no singles left. It was last Friday I made the bookings but I'm going to guess that this might already be a lot tighter by now. In one way it will be great to see tourist industries making some cash but it is somewhat unfair on "regulars" like yourself plus there doesn't seem to be any way of arranging things such that only "nice" people come :-) Good luck with getting something arranged, let me know if you are heading for Lewis.

On top of all this the Ullapool - Stornoway ferry is broken down and will be away for repairs for a good while leaving the crossing with very limited capacity so this is going to cause a lot of problems for islanders and for island businesses and I'd imagine anyone getting on one of the current crossings with a camper van is going to be pretty unpopular. Locals had made it clear the sort of service they needed but my understanding is the government dictated what they actually got and it hasn't ended well.

Good luck with your travel plans Philip. PMd you about Lewis.
I have no problem with the "first come first served" principle and I am luckier than most with flexibility over dates. More visitors were certainly needed because while it used to be brilliant being able to get into almost any hotel at any time many ended up closing - or going downhill - for lack of trade.

Go To Front Page