News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Recommend a spinning rod?

Started by caorach, August 12, 2021, 07:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caorach

SWMBO likes the occasional cast with a spinner if I'm fishing. It is a pretty rare event but it happens now and again. She has a little short spinning rod, maybe 6ft or something, but the honest truth is that it is a bit stiff and short to get a decent cast - it seems to be just all the wrong combinations of everything no matter the weight of the lure. I have a feeling that a longer rod might work better giving a bit more spring in the blank etc. and she will be fishing lochs so a good long cast is a positive thing. She likes to see results, so when she casts any failure of the lure to go the full width of the loch is viewed as a failure and more effort is used on the next cast.

So I wondered if anyone could recommend something for trout that would be easy to cast and produce reasonable distance. She has a range of Mepps and Toby type lures and I don't mind getting her a few more of various kinds in a range of weights, I will maybe get some of those Seaeagle lures designed for long casting. Also I really don't want to spend a fortune on a rod, I might use it myself once in a blue moon but basically it will get a run out once or twice per year, but I'm also willing to spend reasonable money to get a good usable rod.

I know it is a bit of a long shot but suggestions are welcome.

Bobfly

Not sure about rods but Tasmania Devils are supposed to cast well and catch well.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Inchlaggan

Quote from: Bobfly on August 12, 2021, 09:05:28 PM
Not sure about rods but Tasmania Devils are supposed to cast well and catch well.

They do.

I am yet to find anything wrong with Fladen spinning rods. 8ft is fine. The 2-12g for flicking wee Mepps into streams. 5-30g for lochs. Weigh the lures you intend to use and choose.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Laxdale

Check out the LRF (light rock fishing) sea fishing rods and same size reels.
I use 12-14 ft quiver tip feeder rods and 4000 size reels off beaches. They are light as a feather and can cast a 10 gram lead for miles.

roberth

I use the Savage Gear Parabellum spinning rods, the Bushwackers are good value too.

Go To Front Page