News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

The End Of UK Fly Lines?

Started by Wildfisher, October 30, 2021, 02:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I heard that covid wiped out 2 of the most productive UK fly line manufacturers  - I say manufacturers and not suppliers / badge engineers as there is a huge difference.

Are there any UK fly line manufacturers left now other than Airflo? I believe some of the independent sellers are now having to import from the USA, the prices are eyewatering and make less sense now compared to hi-tech brands like Rio and SA where you know you are getting a well researched and leading edge product.

This past season I bought a couple of Maxcatch DT lines that cost just under £10. Honestly these lines were very good, smooth and slick and at least as good as any UK made line I've fished with. Some say their Gold lines are even better.

You have have to wonder if the day of the UK fly line is now over. I'm more than happy that I retired and got out of that business well before the excrement hit the fan.

Bobfly

That is why the canny long term Chinese planners put their Carbon targets back at 2060. They know they will be the biggest makers of huge amounts of stuff. We burden ourselves with very large costs and further erode our economic growth potential.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

There is almost certainly an opportunity for a new product here. What about a new "Thunberg Taper" made entirely from  recycled organic kale?    It   gently whines through the rod rings and imparts an all knowing aura of smugness on the angler knowing he is doing exactly the right thing for both  fish-kind  and the wider planet.   :lol:

Go To Front Page