News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rocketing Fishing Accommodation Costs

Started by Wildfisher, February 16, 2022, 06:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caorach

Quote from: admin on February 17, 2022, 12:41:18 PM
Yeah, the cost of everything is on the way up. I was astonished at the 50% hike of the Corriekinloch rent.

One thing I will say is that, in a way, a lot of self catering accommodation was somewhat "underpriced." As some are aware my girlfriend let a house for a while, she has since sold it. Basically once you took out the running costs it never made any money for her. Also doing changeovers/laundry etc. took her basically all day Saturday plus about 3 evenings in the week and she never got paid for her time. From memory (could be a bit wrong but close enough) she started out charging about £350 per week, which was the going price in the area, and by the time she stopped she was charging about £500 per week. We figured that to get minimum wage out of it, once you subtracted operating costs, she'd have needed to be up around £1k per week.

My father worked in tourism and he said there was a minimum number of properties that you needed to be running to make an income, I guess there is some sort of economy of scale factor, and I think the number was about 6. 

So I completely get that these current prices put people like me out of the market, or leave us looking at a week away rather than a month. However, in a lot of cases there isn't a huge profit at these prices at least at the level of occupancy and the cost of repairs etc. that we saw on Lewis. 

Wildfisher

Some excellent points there Philip, few are making big money out of holiday accommodation and this will  get worse now that the bill for keeping so many public sector and BBC employees  at home on full pay making sourdough bread for 2 years is coming in.  ::)

One important point that should not be missed is taking the example of Corriekinloch - I never had problems booking it right up until springtime in past years. Now, even with a massive hike in rent, it is  pretty much fully booked and it's still mid-winter.  The market appears to have changed - and that's fine that's how our system works - the clientele  may have changed. Those with lots of cash are filling the hotels, cottages and castles and we anglers are in campervans and tents.

The there is high inflation and fuel costs.

It's like being back in the 1970s. Only the good music is missing.  ;D

Fishtales

My wife and I used to do a changeover clean of three. three bedroom, lodges in six hours every Saturday for years for very little wages :) Then my wife worked all day in the laundry on the Sunday washing all the linen for all the lodges and hotel. She also worked in the restaurant kitchen on the Friday and Saturday night and I did bouncer on the door of the dinner dance. I don't know if we could make a living out of that now but it helped pay for the drink and some of the caravan ground rent :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Inchlaggan

Going rate (around here) to do a 2/3 bed cottage changeover in 6 hrs on a Saturday is £120- does not include laundry.
Precious few folk about to do it.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

For me it's looking more and more like my fishing will be done locally. At 69 years I'm not sure I'm capable of long backpacking hikes or, being honest, really fancy it much now. I see myself more as the cosy hotel type these days.

The death of a legend or a doddery old fool facing reality?  ;D

Fishtales

Quote from: Inchlaggan on February 17, 2022, 04:57:17 PM
Going rate (around here) to do a 2/3 bed cottage changeover in 6 hrs on a Saturday is £120- does not include laundry.
Precious few folk about to do it.

We would have been expected to do that in 2 max 3 hours for £20 each :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

caorach

Quote from: admin on February 17, 2022, 05:04:42 PM
For me it's looking more and more like my fishing will be done locally. At 69 years I'm not sure I'm capable of long backpacking hikes or, being honest, really fancy it much now. I see myself more as the cosy hotel type these days.

The death of a legend or a doddery old fool facing reality?  ;D

You need to stop with that defeatist talk. Being 69 is an opportunity - you've pretty much had your life so it doesn't matter if the walk kills you :-)

You have to wonder if this will see a change to the pattern of fishing? On Lewis most of the trout fishing is done by locals as in my experience visitors don't want to work for fishing - they want to get out of their car into a boat and get rowed about all day with big fish almost jumping into their boat. Sport has nothing to do with it and everyone seems to want maximum return for zero effort, with maximum return meaning big fish and lots of them. You wonder if we won't see more and more of this and end up with hatchery trout and even hatchery salmon genetically engineered to be "big."

Laxdale

And then there is this coming to bite us -

https://www.whfp.com/2022/02/15/legislation-headache-councils-face-damage-limitation-on-new-short-term-lets-licences/?fbclid=IwAR0Fg3Q-CrEjlkhrjxDHnx6Q25PSa0yA9ldeKtvaSDtEzMqg9I8airRe4PY

Plus all the other increasing costs.
In contrast, three of us booked a cottage in Mosjoen in Norway, mid June, for 540 quid between us.

Wildfisher

Perhaps destruction of tourism is part of the green agenda. It does have a huge carbon footprint

burnie

Glad I have some fishing within walking distance or a modest drive, plans to go further afield will have to involve staying with relatives lol.

Go To Front Page