News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rio Nymph lines

Started by SoldierPmr, February 27, 2022, 10:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoldierPmr

I see that Rio have a 20ft nymph line and a full length one.I'm just after opinions off any of you guys that have used them and what you would recommend?

Bobfly

Ten days ago an angling pal gave me a 5wt Rio Camolux In Touch nymph line. Multi coloured slow sinking and no stretch. Shop price is about £100 .... !!  He said he wasn't sure why he bought it but thought I might find it good for nymphs on lochs. He found that it cast very well. I have spooled it onto a reel and thought it rather curly rather than limp and since it is non stretch I am not sure how I can give it a decent pull and if it will stay straight !

I also use midge tip lines lines a lot, one a 6ft clear tip the other a bit longer. Like both a lot 😀😀
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

SoldierPmr

Thanks for the feed back Vaughan

sagecirca

Waste of money. They were brought in to get round FIPS Mouche rules as they were of a certain thickness, however when fishing nymphs at range on a river the line sagged and reduced sensitivity. I have no idea why anyone would buy one especially ion they don't fish FIPS competitions. No idea what the new ones are like and I certainly won't be at that price!

SoldierPmr

Quote from: sagecirca on March 04, 2022, 11:21:05 AM
Waste of money. They were brought in to get round FIPS Mouche rules as they were of a certain thickness, however when fishing nymphs at range on a river the line sagged and reduced sensitivity. I have no idea why anyone would buy one especially ion they don't fish FIPS competitions. No idea what the new ones are like and I certainly won't be at that price!

Thanks for the info. I've already ordered the full length euro nymph line to try now. I knew they were made to get around the rules. I'm hoping to enter some comps next year and I'm trying to get my gear in order before I enter them. As the last few years I've just been using a braided line with a short leader with a couple of nymphs on it.

Bobfly

The Rio line I was given is a WF5 Int with fawn and brown and green mixed lengths of camo colouring. Intended to be a quite slow sinking line for nymphing according to the chap who bought it. Maybe not the line you were asking about Liam ?

SoldierPmr

Sorry Vaughan I did mean the euro nymph line. The information you provided is still valuable as most of my lines are way past it now and need changing out.

I had a quick go with the full length euro line today. I didn't find it too bad it obviously acts completely different to braid. I found it a lot more gentle to cast compared to using braid too.

I ended up getting a semi wild rainbow out of the local small stream today.
[attachimg=1]

Wildfisher

Nice looking fish, well done!  :)

Bobfly

That is a decent looking fish. I had quite a big rainbow on once in the river at Bridge of Allan. Thought it was a fair grilse to start with and passers by on the path were stopped for the action. Turned out to be an escapee from Cromlix Estate !!

Go To Front Page