News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Orkney... in April?

Started by johnesmithson, November 16, 2023, 11:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnesmithson

My son is fascinated by Norse mythology and language, so I am cooking up a plan to do a 4 day Dad and Lad trip to Orkney next year. He can go and see the sights, and I might have a rod with me.... The only catch is that his work limits him to going in April. Is that too early for me to do some prospecting for WBTs? I have made provisional contact with a guy from the Orkney Angling Association who has kindly said he may be able to ghillie me for a day or two, but I would be interested if any of you have experience of early season fishing up there. Many thanks.

IanR

Yes. The trout are still in the shallow water then (usually), so wading will give you the best chance. Harray is the best loch for wading, followed by Hundland and Swannay (the rocks are very slippery in Swannay).

Good access to the shore on Harray from the roadside, from the Brig o' Brodgar (Kirk Bay), up to the Ring of Brodgar. Also good roadside shore access near to the Merkister Hotel, as well as at Stoneyhill.

Access to the shore at Hundland best from the SE corner, from the Durkadale Road (there's a parking spot there, just follow the burn).

Some of the smaller lochs are also worth a cast, before the summer weed growth takes over; Wasdale, Bosquoy, Clumly, Loch of Ayre (St. Mary's), etc., and Kirbister is always worth an "easy" cast or two  :)

Buzzers and black/dark flies, along with peach coloured muddlers or hedgehogs should do the trick.

Expect "a bit" of windy weather  ;D

Good luck...

johnesmithson

Brilliant, thanks so much Ian. I have to confess that I was a bit taken aback by the potential price of a ghillie and boat, and it sounds like the wading/bank fishing might be the best way to go in any case at that time of year. And I guess another advantage of being on the bank is you can nip around and try different venues according to the day's conditions. I've fished on N Uist for many years so I'm familiar with the wind!

Bobfly

I've always used a float tube on Orkney lochs. Harray can be tricky wading with scattered deep holes in the southern parts and it's hard to remember how exactly you got to where you have ended up !
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

johnesmithson

Ha ha, in that case my choice of phrase above ('...the best way to go in...') might be spot on! I'm thinking to stay at the Merkister: looks like a great spot for anglers and non-fishing companions

Bobfly

Probably the favourite location with visiting anglers and locals.

Bobfly

I haven't ever fished on Loch of Tankerness. How is that generally Ian ?

IanR

Quote from: Bobfly on November 17, 2023, 06:44:00 PMI haven't ever fished on Loch of Tankerness. How is that generally Ian ?

I've never tried it, and I don't know of anyone who has, so it may or may not be worth a few casts....

Bobfly

The depth map shows 1.5 metres with a quick drop off from the south east shore. A trout of over 4lbs caught in 1998. Needs a float tube maybe? Could be a bit like Loch Heilan east of Thurso?

IanR

Quote from: Bobfly on November 17, 2023, 10:56:01 PMThe depth map shows 1.5 metres with a quick drop off from the south east shore. A trout of over 4lbs caught in 1998. Needs a float tube maybe? Could be a bit like Loch Heilan east of Thurso?

It's certainly underfished, if ever fished. I'll give it a chuck next seasson!

Go To Front Page