News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rod / Line Weights - Tackle Reviews

Started by Wildfisher, April 07, 2005, 10:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Boy, there ain?t  half some tosh talked about this subject.

I used to wonder about some rods you see advertised as let?s say suiting a 6 ? 8 line. How in heaven?s name could one rod suit  so many line weights?   Truth is though, most do. It all depends on  the line profile, the distance you want to (or are able to) cast, even individual manufacturers seem incapable of making two similar lines and that is   NOT dependent on price. Cheap Shakespeare lines are often as good (sometimes better) than lines 4 times the price.  

Just bought a Vision 3 zone rod clearly marked as  #5. NOT a  4 ? 7 not a 6 ? 8  A FIVE.  Now I am not knocking the rod, it is a wee topper! Light and  a real pleasure to use. However, to mark it as a #5 is misleading.

Over the past few weeks I have tried it with a variety of lines and can say now, beyond doubt, that for the kind of fishing I do where in the main one is fishing a short to medium length cast, this rod  if far better if fished with a  SIX ? that?s if you are fishing a double taper ? if fishing a WTF then it works better with a 5.  See the problem?   Now what if I want to cat 30 yards? Will I be down to a 4? Will it be WTF or DT?

Let the buyer beware, do not go on magazines /  tackle reviews, try  the rod first if you can. If you can?t then  buy  /  beg /  steal / borrow a few cheap lines of various profiles and weights and try them out first.  All I can say is I am bloody glad I did NOT go out and buy a new set of  40 odd quid  5 weight lines. Another thing I would like to see is a clear statement in ALL tackle reviews if the gear under review has had to be returned to the manufacturers / distributors and whether or not  there is any kick back for  the publication doing the review.

As foot-note to this, a few years ago I bought a Shakespeare Ariel 6 pc travel rod for sticking in the rucksack (i.e hiding from keepers). It  was marked as a #7  but at  25 quid reduced from 80 I  risked it.

It is a delight with a #5.  :roll:

Wildfisher

Quote from: ArdbegSwithun, I'll be bringing up a 4# floater WF.  Try this and see if it's any better.  I dare say somebody else will have a 5# to have a go with.

Ardbeg

I?ll have several 5?s DT and WTF

Feck!  ? I hope it?s warmer by then. It?s bloody snowing up here today!

Wildfisher

This cold snap is only set to last a few days. By feck though it is cold, well below freezing here this morning and a cover of snow. By the 23rd we will be pullin? the troots in good style!

Go To Front Page