News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Can Someone explain to me?

Started by Wildfisher, April 08, 2005, 01:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

How it is I can buy a new computer for a few hundred quid, yet  a couple of bits  of carbon fibre stick with some corks glued onto one end and a few twisted bits of wire tied on at intervals along its length can cost me 2 or 3  times that amount? Hamish once pointed me to a web article by an ex  rod designer who worked for one of the ?top?  companies who claimed that these 600 quid Sage and Loomis rods are now made for 40 dollars in the far east.  Are we being seduced by clever marketing, glossy brochures and fancy adds in magazines or are we just plain stupid and deserve to be?

trollscot

Yes we are tricked by the marketing men, i was told  by someone who knows the tackle trade that the ron thomson ?90 fly rods  cost the shops ?10, then they try to sell you a lifetime warrenty for?10, so you are getting screwed twice and poaying for the privelege.

Wildfisher

Quote from: ArdbegNot that I'm agreeing with the rip off merchants, but being honest how often do you really need a new rod?  I have only bought 2 in the last 15 years and didn't really need one of them.  The companies need to makesome profit to cover the length of time between replacing rods.
?600 is a bit much though.

Ardbeg

That is a fair point. We often buy things (not just rods) on impulse and don?t really need them. To be honest a ?better?  rod MAY help you  catch the odd fish more, but it is not a major factor. That said though, a $40 dollar Sage or Loomis selling for hundreds of pounds is  a rip off, plain and simple. It is just a shame more people are not aware of the extent of rip off because if they stopped buying the price would soon drop.

Wildfisher

Quote from: SwithunIf no one ever paid for a warranty - but went back and complained long and hard when goods weren't up to scratch, we'd all benefit.  

Quite,

This  bought warranty crap is something that started with white goods, spread to audio gear and computers etc.  Try going into Dixons or PC world and buying something. They PUSH the warranties like hell. That is because they make a bloody fortune off them. I was not aware it had reached rods though. The Vision rod I just bought has a ?lifetime warranty? whatever the feck that is ?. Apparently if I break the rod ? no break mode specified ? so I guess that includes shutting it in the car boot lid? I send it back with 15 quid to cover shipping and the original purchase receipt - they send me a new one. It seems OK but is something I would rather not put to the test.

lnelson20

I have the exact same lifetime waranty with my greys rod Fred,would be interesting to hear from anyone has sent one back broken to find out if they got pissed about,but if they are turning out these rods for small costs maybe they dont mind replacing the odd one.Nobody's going to tell me that after a couple of years use the odd one will not get accidently broken :twisted:  :twisted: and replaced for fifteen quid.
Keep tying lads.
Look north.
Chris.
c.nelson

Wildfisher

Quote from: lnelson20I have the exact same lifetime waranty with my greys rod Fred,would be interesting to hear from anyone has sent one back broken to find out if they got pissed about,but if they are turning out these rods for small costs maybe they dont mind replacing the odd one.Nobody's going to tell me that after a couple of years use the odd one will not get accidently broken :twisted:  :twisted: and replaced for fifteen quid.
Keep tying lads.
Look north.
Chris.

Perhaps the fact they will replace your rod for 15 quid is a measure of the phenomenal margins they are making. That assumes they are still in business when you claim of course!

Go To Front Page