News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Line Profiles

Started by Wildfisher, April 25, 2005, 10:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Last Saturday up at Beanie  I used a couple of different lines with my #5 Vision. Started of with a DT 6 floater which made for effortless casts at short to medium range.  Very relaxing to use, very delicate. Later in the day I switched to a medium sinker (fast intermediate?) WTF 5. It was now possible to put out a longer line but after fishing in ?relaxed mode?  with the DT floater,  it took a bit of getting used to achieving the higher line speeds that were needed.  For the first ? hour I was tending to hit the water in front of me on occasion as the heavy line front section ?dived?. Anyone else notice this  tendency with WTF lines and how do you correct it on longer  casts? I usually indulge in a bit of ?hauling? and that fixes it or simply concentrate in putting more initial energy into the back cast. I am a bit of a lazy caster though and soon fall back into my old laid-back habits, especially later in the day when getting tired

Fishtales

Fishing the WF after the DT was the problem. You were putting too much of the WF out of the top ring, you can get away with this with a DT but not a WF.

When casting, with either line, wait a little longer in the back cast until you feel the weight of the line trying to pull out of your hand, go into the forward cast and punch the line out at head height, aim for the horizon not the water, keep the line under tension in your stripping hand till you feel the weight of the line trying to pull itself free and then let it go. You can also double haul if you feel like it but don't release the line in your stripping hand untill you feel it pulling.

No jerking or high line speed just relaxed casting :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

Quote from: fishtalesFishing the WF after the DT was the problem.

Not really so much of a   problem  Sandy, more of  a graphic illustration. What was interesting (and the reason for the post) was making a direct comparison between the way lines performed with the same rod, one after the other. Using all WTF lines as I have been doing for years now (and not really having the line ?diving?  problem ? or rarely so)  masked these differences for me. I think what it also shows is some of the nonsense written about line weights vs rods. The various  line profiles behave very differently, especially at different casting distances. I used to look at rods rated 6 / 8, 5 / 6 etc and wonder.  Actually it is a more honest way of rating the kit, it screams out, or should scream out beware.  The definite ?#5?  stamped on my new Vision rod and many others is at best misleading and to make it worse, I would bet my bottom dollar that different manufacturers lines of the same spec. behave quite differently too. I suppose it?s all a bit of a lottery unless you can try before you buy.

Go To Front Page