News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Friday night fun!

Started by ChildOfTheMist, April 14, 2007, 08:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChildOfTheMist

Well armed with my new vice and tools, mair beads and thread than ma granny and a weird and wonderful collection of feathers, dubbing and "stuff", I spent last night tying flies.

A big thanks goes to Ardbeg for his tip on learning to whip finish on a big fly - I'm far from perfect at the thing but at least I know what I'm trying to achieve.

Scotfly, and the many others, I'm grateful indeed for the time and effort creating the step-by-steps. I've managed to work my way through a half dozen patterns and I'm quietly chuffed with some (and I mean SOME  :oops:) of the results.

Ah jist dinnae ken though... a Friday night - wife up ini Harris, bairns at their mothers and I have the hoose... nae the WORLD tae maself.... and I sit over a vice tying up wee flees!  :shock:

I thoroughly enjoyed myself though - wish I'd got started many moons ago.

Daibhidh

Wildfisher

Quote from: col on April 15, 2007, 10:32:18 AM
Nice one child of the mist. Good to hear youve got the tying bug   . You cant beat the satisfaction from catching a fish  on a flee you have tied yourself.
col

It's not just that Col. If you don’t tie you handicap yourself. I seldom bother tying bog standards like butchers  etc – they are cheap to buy. Where tying excels is it gives you versatility – lets  you try out ideas. You can produce flies that are next to impossible to buy. Bob's DHE  and DHS are the classic example. Only now are one or two commercial tiers producing these.

ChildOfTheMist

Well it came yesterday - my first fish on a self-tied fly. Ah wiz floatin on the way hame!  :D :D :D

The fly was a wee buzzer - very simple (obviously  :D ) copper body and peacock herl thorax - wee gold bead head. I had a self made olive buzzer on the top dropper, a wee black buzzer in the middle and my wee "killer" on the point. As it became obvious the fish had taken the point fly, I was bloody chuffed!  :D

There is a down-side though, it was only a rainbow - 3.5lb from Linlithgow Loch (club trip) but nevertheless, it made my day.

Cannae wait to catch my first real fish though - I just have to get to grips with "dubbing" and find a bit deer hair and.... sheesh it's never ending!!!  :D

shanksi

Well done on catching your first fish on a fly you tie, Josh and I have still to manage it.  Just watch when buying materials, I went to buy some hooks yesterday and somehow ended up spending over ?30. :shock:

shanksi   

scotfly

Quote from: ChildOfTheMist on April 22, 2007, 06:46:18 PMI just have to get to grips with "dubbing"

Very well done on your first fish on your own fly, a doubling of the pleasure.

Re; Dubbing, you might find this useful... http://www.flyforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2296
I will be putting it on here, but I am going to revisit it first, when I get time. I want to improve the picture quality on it and reduce the size of them. I also have one or two additions I want to make to it.

ChildOfTheMist

Shanksi, I know what you mean  :oops: I nipped into Crafteye the other day for some seals fur to try this dubbing malarkey and ended up with several colours, a bobbin threader, some feathers and some hooks - ?15ish. I then had to drive past Mikes Tackle on the way home - that resulted in another ?15ish of assorted fluffy stuff and wire - thank feck I had the willpower to "miss" Riverside in Fisherrow on the way hame or I was looking at ?45 "for my wee bag of seals fur"  :D :D :D

Scotfly, I know I've said this before, but I'm extremely grateful for the time and effort in posting these step by steps. I genuinely feel I've learned more from watching and re-watching these than I could from any book. When Scotland finally sheds the baggage of Union to take her place among the family of nations, I'll personally see to it that you are honoured for "services to fishing".  :D

Slainte,

Daibhidh

Go To Front Page