News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

HEY DOODS!!! Broonie Help For A Brutha From Anutha Mutha!!!

Started by Moosebunk, May 06, 2010, 01:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moosebunk

You fellas know your broonies unlike ANYONE on this side of the pond.  Now, I've got an old 6wt with a floating line and an intermediate sink line.  I'm no flyfisher really, just like to dabble... but, the other day I got out onto a "stocked" brown lake for the first time EVER!  I used the spinning gear out of my float tube (good thing, bad bad winds) but caught nothing.  This lake (about 3 miles long) is rumored to have some bigger fish and not too many little guys as, a few locals snuck some walleye (zander) into the lake some years back and the competetion between the two serves to make them either hearty, or just food for the hearty.

What I'd really like to know are a few different streamer type flies that work well for WFF anglers.  Basically, if I get brave enough to go back there again after my first skunking, I'd like to troll from the tube.

Secondly, answer me this... are brown trout more solitary in lakes or do they school up?

haresear

Hi Moose.

Brownies are pretty much solitary fish. They will tolerate other trout nearby at times, but they don't shoal tight like rainbows or cutthroats will.

Streamers? A good starting point would be to get some wooly buggers in various colours. Olive, brown, black and white would cover most situations. The Ace of Spades or a black Matuka work well, as do Zonkers (rabbit fly).

It could be worth tying a small fly above your streamer - something like a pheasant tail nymph in a size 12?

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page