News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Recent posts

Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: Fish Tank One Of N
Last post by Wildfisher - Yesterday at 08:45:14 PM
MD has a good eye, but his tanks seem to be short term done for instant YT effect rather than long term fish homes. Don't get me wrong, he plants up some nice tanks, but the density of plants would cost a small fortune. They will be a business expense - he does YT full time. When we had our nursery everything remotely connected to plants and gardens was legit expense. 8)
Last post by Fishtales - Yesterday at 08:04:38 PM
OOH! Nice! A bit of MD look about it :)
Last post by Wildfisher - Yesterday at 07:43:20 PM
Busy day today. Got the rocks, sand and wood in then planted the tank dry and filled it.

Serious screwed up with the wood! I'd fixed it in place to the rock caves with cotton wool and superglue (seriously effective) then found  the moss and epiphytes impossible to tie on due to lack of workspace. Had to use gel superglue but ended up with Java Moss fingertips. Won't make that mistake again. Still it seems to work reasonably well especially with more robust rhizomes. Added a few Anubias nana which I like. 

Final photo show the tank just filled and yet to clear and get up to temperature. Looks a bit bare but the excellent plants kindly sent by Jon will bulk up. Better to wait than to over plant for quick effect then end up re-doing it. No rush!

That wood is going to make  netting fish a bit of a nightmare!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg
Last post by Fishtales - Yesterday at 09:05:55 AM
Quote from: Wildfisher on May 12, 2024, 09:16:14 PMThe light unit has a built in controller and there is a phone app. to program it with. You can set colour temp. on-off cycles, luminosity, ramp-up and ramp down etc etc. You can even create lightning storms!  ::)

All a bit overwhelming to be honest.  ;D

Set the light to suit the plants and/or fish species I suppose :)
Last post by Wildfisher - May 12, 2024, 09:16:14 PM
Quote from: Fishtales on May 12, 2024, 08:19:32 PMGet a timer for the lights if they don't have one.

The light unit has a built in controller and there is a phone app. to program it with. You can set colour temp. on-off cycles, luminosity, ramp-up and ramp down etc etc. You can even create lightning storms!  ::)

All a bit overwhelming to be honest.  ;D
Last post by Wildfisher - May 12, 2024, 09:08:08 PM
Quote from: Jon on May 12, 2024, 08:39:55 PMThinking these could be an interesting tank in habitant?

https://www.morphmarket.com/all/c/reptiles/crocodilians

I'll take 3 and make it snappy!  ;D
Last post by Jon - May 12, 2024, 08:39:55 PM
Thinking these could be an interesting tank in habitant?

https://www.morphmarket.com/all/c/reptiles/crocodilians
Last post by Fishtales - May 12, 2024, 08:19:32 PM
Get a timer for the lights if they don't have one. Having it set for a specific length of on will be easier than manual. The fish get used to it too. If I go into the shed fifteen minutes before the lights go off all the fish are settling down for the night. If I go in fifteen or so minutes after the lights come on they are all swimming about but looking dopey. There are no windows in the tank so I have a night light on a timer that comes on before the tank lights go out otherwise it would be pitch black :)
Last post by Bobfly - May 12, 2024, 07:58:20 PM
All this mighty complicated aquarium tanks business reminds me of my teenage dentist called Chong Kwang in Dunfermline. He had a big tank in the waiting room where the stars of the tank amongst the fishes were two little terrapins barely more than 2 inches long.
Last post by Wildfisher - May 12, 2024, 07:23:10 PM
Tank 1, stage 1 complete. Installed, filled, checked for function and leaks, drained and dried.

Stage 2 begins tomorrow.

b2024f12-3d51-4619-8a6b-4b2ffd97b166.jpg
Go To Front Page