News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Definitive knot test

Started by scotty9, October 14, 2009, 12:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: Malcolm on October 14, 2009, 12:10:50 PM
2006 Trout Fisherman magazine (sorry - bought at Schipol Airport airport as I had run out of newspapers).

That reads  a lot like  "Honest dear, I caught it off a toilet seat" ...........................  :lol:

scotty9

Quote from: bordertroot on October 14, 2009, 11:10:17 PM
The grinner is actually very easy. .

How did you manage with one hand Scotty  :? :?
After your post I tried it,only thing for me was I couldnt undo it quickly.

Bob

I've got it back Bob! It's a relief to get the dam cast off, so much easier with everything!

Clan Ford

Thanks for the description and photo Scott,

If I ever get the chance I'll rummage round the physics gear and see if I can come up with something.

Norm

Fishtales

Scott,

Have you tried the pull test underwater? I was just wondering if the wet strength, as in real word use, was different from dry strength, which you are testing.

I only use nylon and have tried all the knots over the years. The Grinner I felt was just five more operations with freezing fingers that I didn't need (the five extra times through the loop).

I still prefer the tucked half blood  :crap
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Malcolm

Scotty,

I think there's a problem with the way you are tying the tucked half blood. I've just done a simple test using weights from the kitchen scales as I was a bit worried by the figures you gave. My 4lb (approx 1.8kg) Hardy copolymer with a loop at one end (blood bight) and a tucked half blood breaks consistently at around 1.8kg. Hardy may build in a bit of leeway (see earlier post) but not that much! It's not breaking at the knot but consistently just before one or other of the knots. I can't believe 50% strength if tied properly.

Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotty9

Sandy - will try it this afternoon, very good point!

Malcolm - again good point. I shall try it again and make sure of the results, it does seem common knowledge by searching the net that the tucked half blood knot is the weakest though! Seems strange the contradicting evidence.  :?

Breac - i like the look of that, will have to try it and see what the results are.

scotty9

Malcolm you were right but it is not the knot. I made sure to tie it to perfection.

Stroft's breaking strain is not accurate in the two tests I have just done. One using a spring balance and the other with the kitchen scales. The 4lb stroft broke consistently at 3lb pressure. That was surprising! This was done using a double surgeons loop to create a loop to use. Turns out the double surgeons loop doesn't break before the line, if you're making loops, use that knot! The line broke first.

Will try the other tests later.

The % figures quoted on breaking strain in my first post are inaccurate!

However, it doesn't change the fact that all of the other knots tested are stronger than the tucked half blood knot  :lol: For me, i'll be using the double surgeons for loops, the grinner for most flies and the davy for the tiny flies.

haresear

QuoteThe % figures quoted on breaking strain in my first post are inaccurate!

However, it doesn't change the fact that all of the other knots tested are stronger than the tucked half blood knot

As you say, Scott, the actual b.s. is irrelevant. What does matter is the relative strength of knot versus knot.

Thanks for doing the tests Scott and sharing that great info. I'll be using mostly grinners from now on instead of the uni knots I have recently been using. I did my own knot v knot test on these two using Rio Powerflex 5X and as showed in your tests, the grinner was the winner.

It must be just me and a lack of practice, but I find the Davy knot easy to get wrong, so I'll be a dinosaur and stick with the knots I can tie. Grinner, uni for NZ droppers and the water/surgeons.

Alex 

Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on October 15, 2009, 02:19:28 PM
the grinner was the winner.

Alex,

when you did the test on the grinner knot did you pass the nylon nylon through the eye twice or just once?

haresear

Quote from: admin on October 15, 2009, 02:28:07 PM
Alex,

when you did the test on the grinner knot did you pass the nylon nylon through the eye twice or just once?

Twice Fred. Incidentally, I tied the first version of the grinner as shown in Scott's link http://www.dorkingas.co.uk/Knots/Grinner%20Knot/grinner_knot.htm as Scott said, it is just a uni with thee line through the eye twice.

The second version Alan linked to appears to be a different and more complex knot. http://www.sea-fishing.org/fishing-grinner-knot.html - I didn't test this second knot, perhaps I should.

Alex

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page