News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Definitive knot test

Started by scotty9, October 14, 2009, 12:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

Never had any faith in "Definitive Tests". I use a tucked half blood for all my flies. Can not remember a failure with it in over 40 years fishing. Can see no reason to change.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

River Chatter

I reckon hook size plays a part too. I've always used the tucked blood not (three turn water not for droppers) without much problem, but on larger hooks - bonefish abroad and sex tourists at home - I've found it can come undone. So when attaching larger hooks I now use a uni knot, which hasn't let me down so far. I haven't passed it through the hook eye twice before though, so will give this a try next time.  :)

Wildfisher

TBH  for the vast majority of the fish caught in Scotland a granny knot would do and would never be tested to destruction, however there is always the chance of something better so it must make sense to use the best knot  for the tippet material you are using.

deergravy

I find that passing the line through the eye twice causes the line to kink when the knot is tightened.
This may or may not affect strength, but it certainly does affect presentation.
And anything which aversely affects presentation is a big no-no for me.

Dave

haresear

QuoteI find that passing the line through the eye twice causes the line to kink when the knot is tightened.

Do you find this with the uni lnot Dave?

Alex
Protect the edge.

scotty9

Quote from: deergravy on October 26, 2009, 09:19:36 PM
I find that passing the line through the eye twice causes the line to kink when the knot is tightened.
This may or may not affect strength, but it certainly does affect presentation.
And anything which aversely affects presentation is a big no-no for me.

Dave

That didn't happen when i did it. I would have thought the kink is caused when the line is pulled around the eye of the hook when it's tightened? I get a really bad kink with the tucked half blood unless i'm really careful. This is something i really like about the davy knot, it doesn't kink no matter what you do  :D

Maybe the material affects this too?

deergravy

Quote from: haresear on October 26, 2009, 09:26:11 PM
Do you find this with the uni lnot Dave?

Alex
Yes, just tried it,
The once-thru-the-eye uni-knot is straight as a die to the hook.
Twice thru the eye and there's a big kink about an inch from the fly.
Maybe I'm tying them wrong

haresear

QuoteThe once-thru-the-eye uni-knot is straight as a die to the hook.
Twice thru the eye and there's a big kink about an inch from the fly.
Maybe I'm tying them wrong

I just tried the two versions of the knot again too. The once through is dead straight like you say. I do get a very slight kink by passing the line through twice, but maybe not as bad as you appear to be getting.

Looks like I'll be reverting to plan A. Once through with a uni knot.

Thanks for pointing that out Dave.

Alex
Protect the edge.

scotty9

After all the talk in this thread i still find i just tie whatever comes to mind first when i grab the line! Still seem to be favouring the davy knot due to simplicity!

bibio1

Putting the line through the eye of the hook twice equates to more friction therefore in theory less strength.  The weakest part of a knot is at the end of it ( oppisite end from the eye). If there was no friction then all locking knots would have the same strength. An unlocking knot would just unravel.

So I just use any knot and make sure theres plenty of lubrication.

Go To Front Page