News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Degreasing Leaders

Started by paulr, May 11, 2010, 11:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

I never bother degreasing the end of my leader when fishing dries, I normally just wet it with a bit of saliva, but recently I have noticed that sometimes the mono is very obvious laying on the water surface and I'm starting to think it certainly must spook fish.
What are other folks views on this, and what degreaser do you use? Fullers earth? Xink? Fairy liquid?
cheers
Paul

River Chatter

I use the Orvis Mud stuff, but it doesn't seem to make much difference and then only for a short while before more is needed.   :?

Wildfisher

Quote from: The Whaup on May 11, 2010, 12:43:51 PM
I await to hear myself other people's thoughts on what kind of line is best for sinking.

I've never had any trouble getting the olive Barrio or the Snowbee XS to sink.

River Chatter

Quote from: Alan on May 11, 2010, 01:50:23 PM
someone one suggested putting a small nymph on a dropper and fishing a dry on the point, sinks the nylon, i tried this and caught consistantly on the nymph, since then the dry has become suspiciously nymph looking.

That's a method I've used in the past on flat calms when fishing CDC's and the like.  On 5lb tippet a size 14 unweighted PTN usually does the trick.

paulr

What do you use Mark?
cheers
Paul

haresear

Quoterarely use it for rivers always use it for lochs, i like the wee tub of dick walkers leeda sink it's a formula i think sticks well.

Same here.

Alex
Protect the edge.

east wind

Permasink, another product with Richard Walker's name on it. Nice consistency, quite expensive but i can live with that every couple of years.

http://www.farlows.co.uk/product/permasink
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Fishtales

I've never bothered with sinkants, other than spit. Either run the leader through my mouth coating it liberally or some on my fingers and run it along its length. I suck my wet flies too if they refuse to sink :) Normally I have Muclin coating the line and it floats anyway usually from the last time I was out if I was surface fishing.

If a fly was floating down the stream on the end of a piece of grass or sedge do you think the fish are going to look at it and think 'OH! OH! That looks like a fly attached to a leader. I'm not going for that' ? I don't think so. They will just treat it as part of the flotsam and jetsum floating past them every day. The flash or splash is more likely to put them down.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

trampas

grab a few blades of grass and rub up and down the leader,i did that and it works plus its free and eco pally

Part-time

Quote from: Alan on May 11, 2010, 10:34:56 PM
i keep saying this one and nobody notices but isnt fluorocarbon the answer to sinky tippet dreams? not used it since someone alerted me to the environmental impact but it sinks and its thinner than sinkant coated poly.

Using riverge fluro on lochs with dries the problem I've had is getting it to start sinking; it seems to get stuck in the surface tension much more than nylon no matter what I de-grease it with. No problem sinking once it breaks through the surface tension but it tended to sink a section at a time. I'm lazy when it comes to changing casts but found fluro frustrating enough that I had to change to nylon when switching from fishing wets to dries.

John

Go To Front Page