News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Droppers

Started by Gary, March 15, 2007, 03:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

I know there are several threads here about leaders/knots/attaching droppers.  In the past I have tended to fish with just one fly (tangles were too common otherwise  :?).  I want to now try at least one dropper.

I have tried tying the dropper with a water knot but the connection always seems to fail when I test it by pulling.  I make sure that I moisten the knot thoroughly so that is not the problem.  I also make sure that I use the tag end that faces the point of the leader (ie away from the reel).  But everytime it seems to break.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?  I notice that I find it impossible to stop the bits of line crossing over each other as I loop the lines through - could this be the problem?

Does anyone use another method (not blood knot - too hard to tie) for attaching droppers?  I've seen something called a dropper loop - any good?

Gary.

haresear

Gary,

You must be tying it wrong. Try following this animated version and see if it helps (the surgeon's knot is the same as the water knot as is the Cove knot).
In the animated knot example you would tie your dropper to the green piece, being the thicker length of nylon (edited this after screwing it up initially). In other words, tie your fly to the tag which points back towards your tail fly. Don't under any circumstances tie your dropper fly to the tag which points back up the line towards your rod tip.
http://www.animatedknots.com/surgeonsjoin/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Alex
Protect the edge.

Gary

Yeah, had thought about the rings to.  Where is the best place to buy them?

On the water knot - looking at the animation you can see how the white line always stays on the same side of the green line.  When I tie the knot they tend to twist over each other a little.  I think that is where I am going wrong.

haresear

QuoteOn the water knot - looking at the animation you can see how the white line always stays on the same side of the green line.  When I tie the knot they tend to twist over each other a little.  I think that is where I am going wrong.

I've never paid much attention to how I tie them Gary, but I've never had a problem with the water knot failing.

What nylon/fluoro are you using?

If you go for the metal rings, avoid the Lureflash ones (I use Riverge). l find the flatter profile of the Lureflash causes the leader to curl up when your knot is tightened. I have settled on the Uni knot for this.

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

QuoteJust to confuse things Col, I just use 2, used to use 3

Me too.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Gary

Cheers for all that. I'm in Aberdeen so i'll pop into Somers and get some rings and some new nylon.  Was practising on the stuff I used last year and it may be a bit old.

Wildfisher

I have had breakage with the water knot but only with fluorocarbon.

greenwell

Quote from: Ardbeg

Just to confuse things Col, I just use 2
/quote]

Same here, I used to use 4, then 3, but gave it try with just two last year and had no problems. Tend to use it with fluoro, I prefer a double blood knot with Maxima.

Greenwell

sandyborthwick

I find using it with Florocarbon a nightmare especially the lower strengths. It works fine with nylon or even magic line but the floro leads to many break offs when the fish take. As a result nowadays only use the floro with a single point fly no droppers.

Sandy B.O.

Malcolm

Quote from: Gary on March 15, 2007, 03:17:23 PM

Does anyone use another method (not blood knot - too hard to tie) for attaching droppers?  I've seen something called a dropper loop - any good?

Gary.

Gary,

When I use a dropper now I tie them New Zealand style. Very simply this is: on the first fly tie a length of nylon on the bend of the hook and tie on the second fly. I've been using this method for several years on rivers and last year switched over almost completely. I have never had a problem with it. I do have a confidence issue however when the bob fly is very small and in that situation I use a water knot.

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page