News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Droppers

Started by Gary, March 15, 2007, 03:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandyborthwick

Malcolm, have heard of this method but never tried it - does it produce? and also how do the fish find taking the fly with two lines attached? would like to hear a bit more on your fedback with this method. I'm wondering if its the case of keep it simple and get results.

All Ears .... Sandy B.O.

haresear

I use the NZ dropper fairly often, when fishing two dries or a dry and a nymph.

I have done OK with the method, but must confess to getting more tangles than when using traditional droppers, when using the dry with a nymph. I find the dropper can loop around the dry, but maybe that's just my casting.

I also think that if a fish approaches the uppermost fly from directly behind (i.e. in line with the leader) then it may push the fly away with its head before it can take. This could be a problem when pulling flies as opposed to drifting them?

Alex
Protect the edge.

sandyborthwick

Thanks Alex, will give it a go and try and see how things compare - may help reduce my breakages on the finer Flouro's.

Sandy B.O.

haresear

There are two ways of attacing the dropper in the NZ rig. You can do as most folk do and attach your dropper to the hook bend, or you could use the "two in the eye" method, tying the dropper to the eye of the upper fly.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Malcolm

Hello Sandy,

I started using the method a few years ago when fishing heavy for grayling This is an ideal setup for the New Zealand method. Typically  I'll fish a super heavy nymph Leaded + goldhead + heavy wire Size 8 longshank and 18 inches below it a small spider usually a partridge and orange or a snipe and purple but occasionally two heavy nymphs. Most of this fishing is done at extremely short range and I can't remember any tangles. I really think this is where it's best as I really don't like a dropper so close to the tail fly.

On the lochs I started using this with two flies but only when the tail fly was the smaller of the two. This is ideal for one of my standard ways of fishing the lochs: a large hopper on the bob and a size 16 snipe and purple or hare's ear on the tail. Again no problems so far.

I didn't really have any reason to switch to NZ style on the lochs with the flies 7 or 8ft apart (just curiosity - I like trying out new things) but having tried it I don't see any disadvantages either. After all with flies tied on the water knot I wonder just how close the flies is to the main cast anyway - it certainly wraps around it rather a lot.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

sandyborthwick

Thanks Malcolm I think I'll try both NZ methods this year with the Flouro to see what the results are. Hopefull a lot less in the breakages department.

Sandy B.O.

bluezulu

i've been a big fan of the NZ style since, er, visiting NZ and seeing how effective it could be for suspending a small nymph below a larger dry fly at just the right depth. i've had success with the same method on lochs in scotland , but when pulling flies i still prefer traditional droppers. i used to fish with a chap who swore by a four fly set up- two bushy dry  flies , the second tied to the bend of the first about 6 foot apart , and then two small pheasant tails or hare's ears  tied on short dropper lengths of nylon , two to the eye of each dry fly.  :shock:   i know if i tried this i'd spend all day untying tangles. he caught fish on all four flies.

have to admit i often buy ready tied ones quite often having had some breakages when tying my own (both blood and water), and because i am very lazy and i don't get to go fishing often enough to  risk  losing the very few fish i hook to yet another element of my own incompetence. but i really should tie them myself.

Malcolm

Quote from: sandyborthwick on March 20, 2007, 10:28:03 AM
Thanks Malcolm I think I'll try both NZ methods this year with the Flouro to see what the results are. Hopefull a lot less in the breakages department.

Sandy B.O.

The best use for fluoro is to tie your dahlias to canes don't worry about damaging your dahlias as they grow - the stuff will break. :)
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

sandyborthwick

Hi Swithun, I gave up on shop bought leaders just for that reason - you cannot tell how long or where they have been sitting around and they often fail more than your own creations from experience.

Sandy B.O.

Ps. Looking forward to seeing you in April - missed the biggest Brown of my career on Sunday - had to be double figures.

bluezulu

QuoteHi Swithun, I gave up on shop bought leaders just for that reason - you cannot tell how long or where they have been sitting around and they often fail more than your own creations from experience.

hmmm....good point, hadn't considered that really, and buying them mail order means they're just as likely to be prehistoric. and of course now you've said that i'll never be able to use a shop bought one again.

Quotemissed the biggest Brown of my career on Sunday - had to be double figures.

QuoteI lost the best fish I've kooked on a fly last weekend on Dunalastair when my bought dropper snapped

i have little  sympathy for this kind of thing . if you insist on hooking  fish, and big ones , then inevitably your tackle is going to fail.

Easy solution is to adopt my tried and tested tactic of keeping  my flies well away from all but the smallest trout   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go To Front Page