News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Dry Fly on Rivers - Those Difficult Fish.

Started by haresear, June 28, 2007, 12:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polecat

Hi lads, was thinking about Alex's insights into his fly selection. I am interested in folk's opinions on: 

How many times would you attempt to cover a rising fish before changing pattern?
How long would you spend on a fish before moving on?
What about different sizes of the same pattern?

I think I spend too much time on the same rising fish but am not trying as many different patterns or changing fly as often as I could.

Cheers, Polecat

haresear

QuoteHow many times would you attempt to cover a rising fish before changing pattern?
How long would you spend on a fish before moving on?
What about different sizes of the same pattern?

I don't have a hard and fast rule, but I maybe cover a rising fish 6 times before trying something else. Sometimes if the fish is on the top constantly and sipping caenis, I'll cast the same fly again and again  hoping the fish will make a mistake, but it is often the case that first decent cast with a new fly provokes a rise. That happened on Saturday on two seperate fish which refused the para olive. First cast at each with the snowshoe hare sparkle dun resulted in a take.

If there are very few fish rising and few flies about, I can spend a couple of hours on one fish before moving on. If while I've been fishing to the original fish a good hatch comes on, I will probably move on sooner in the hope of finding more rising fish. I will probably come back for another shot later.

I do try smaller versions of the same pattern. On Saturday I had been fishing a 14 para olive but noticed that the flies coming off were much smaller, being blue winged olives about a 16 or smaller, so I changed to a 16. It can also help to try a really tiny fly if all else fails. I tend to use these as a last resort as it involves stepping down the tippet strength and I'm not keen on going below 4lb unless I have to.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Clan Ford

For me, it all depends on the size of the fish!  If it appears to be decent, I'll give it the full works, basically until I put it down.  If its a bit smaller and I'm catching on my current fly selection then I'll probably cover it enough times to know I've got the presentation right and if its not interested move on.  

Last night I must have cast 30 times to a rising fish but I knew the current was going to make the presentation difficult so simply persevered until I thought I got it right.  This actually involved moving up stream for a down stream presentation.  Fish took first time when I felt it was right.

polecat

Allan- I like the last suggestion! I must fill my front wader pocket with stones before entering the river. I must have spent over an hour last night covering one of only 2 fish rising on the river, it finally took on the first time covering it after the 4th fly change, thus preventing a "wogan" (blankety blank). The other rising fish I should just have thrown a stone at right away and gone home for some supper rather than flogging the river into the night and sleeping in for work this morning!

Cheers, polecat

Go To Front Page