News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fencing - Crotch Protector

Started by haresear, June 04, 2008, 02:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

Lately I've taken to carrying a piece of foam pipe lagging with me for crossing barbed wire or electrified fences. A piece 24" long or so will do and can be folded over and put in my bag/waistcoat or slipped over my net handle for ease of carrying.

On one river I fish, if you cross at a stile to walk downsream and fish your way back up, you must walk along a high river bank and it is very noticeable that you put all the fish down. You can see them obviously spook and bow-wave away.

By carrying the foam pipe lagging, I can cross the fence wherever I want and avoid spooking the fish, hopefully catching them unawares on the way back upstream.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

great tip, especially if fishing the Don at Monymusk! 

Lochan

Good tip, it will stop me puncturing my waders! Cheers

east wind

Simple, and i would imagine, very effective.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

johnsd

Only 24" long may need a longer piece :D :roll:
yer going where

zeolite

Got excited by the title as I thought a fracas with a riparian had escalated into swordplay but hey...a good idea nonetheless.
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

wag99

Quote from: haresear on June 04, 2008, 02:11:08 PM
Lately I've taken to carrying a piece of foam pipe lagging with me for crossing barbed wire or electrified fences. A piece 24" long or so will do and can be folded over and put in my bag/waistcoat or slipped over my net handle for ease of carrying.

What a good idea, well done that man!

haresear

QuoteAlex take tie wraps put it permanently on the fence ,im sure the farmer wont mind.

I thought of leaving them on fences here and there Scotty, but It's more convenient to carry one with me so that I can cross fences wherever I like. It also doesn't make life too easy for other anglers that way 8).

I saw a good fish rise last night and was able to jump the fence and cast to it (didn't catch it), whereas I would have spooked it by crossing the fence upstream of it and walking down (high banks). Although I didn't get that one, I took three pretty good fish from that area and I would definitely have spooked them had I walked down the bank rather than circling the area in the farmer's field.

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

QuoteCheers alex i get your point i suppose it would be like advertising your hot spots to others.

You got it in one, Scotty. :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Just thought I?d bring this one to the fore once again. I carry a bit with me in the back of my fly vest all the time now. Works great on Scottish barbed wire and NZ electric fences.

Get down to B+Q and do your waders if  not your testicles a  big favour.   :D

Go To Front Page