News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Do Stiff Rods Lose More Fish?

Started by Wildfisher, December 19, 2013, 11:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do You Think Stiff Rods Lose More Fish?

Yes
No
Don't Know

aliS

I went for don't know but to be brutally honest it's not the rod its the angler and the set up. If you are using a broomstick like rod and trying to use 4lb tippet then with added weakness to that with the knot then you are just asking for trouble. With flurocarbon being as thin as it is there is not real reason in my opinion why a much stronger leader can't be used for a stiffer rod.

I can't abide slow whippy rods but that is maybe because I have only ever owned one and it now hold the status of "her rod"... I bought it thinking it would make fun of poor waters, which to some extent it did but I have lost more fish over the pound on it than any other rod. The rod in question is a Wychwood Trufly - horrible thing... I much prefer my Swift & Cascapedia.

Allan Crawford

I think softer rods give you an edge over faster or stiffer rods for example my 13ft just bends to every move of a salmon  so a weaker hook holds better

scobo

I used to fish with a fairly soft rod but had to change it a couple of years ago due to back trouble. It was too much effort to cast and went for my back.
I bought a Hardy Demon last year and while it casts well, I miss the softer rod as the takes just don't quite feel the same.
I couldn't go any stiffer than the Demon. Anything stiffer just feels horrible to fish with.
Scott

"Fly fishing is my prozac"

rannoch raider

There is definitely a case for different rods and actions for different types of fishing. Many years ago I had a Shakespeare Oberon 12ft 5 weight with a soft through action. For boat fishing with floating lines it was fantastic. It couldn't handle anything other than a short floating line though. Unfortunately it was quite poorly made and broke at the butt. I never bought another.
I moved on to a Hardy Ultralite 10ft 6 weight (20 years ago). It has quite a unique action probably best described as middle to tip. It has a 'brisk' recovery compared to the casting sticks that are on the go now but is a great all rounder with plenty of tip to butt bend when a bigger fish is on. I am still using it to this day on the lochs from bank and boat. If it breaks I will be looking for another one.

As far as rivers go, I have an 8ft Orvis Trident 5 weight (operates better with a 4 weight I think)which has a fast but very nice action . It is great on bigger rivers and particularly with dries at any distance. Line pick up great.
I have a 7ft greys 3 weight which is very soft and is good fun on smaller rivers and in confined space but I often fail to connect with takes as the soft action isn't great for line pick up so slows the connection to the take considerably.

I think the rigid casting poles on the go these days are good for casting and for dragging Hi D lines along the bottom for stockies. Great if that's your thing.

Fishtales

I use a 10' Daiwa #7 three piece with 5 Lb Maxima Chameleon nylon for the cast for all my fishing. It is a middle to tip action, I would say although it isn't something I have thought about, and I don't have any trouble with it. I tried a mates soft rod once, it was like casting with a piece of cooked spaghetti, it wobbled all over the place. It was the worst rod I have ever tried.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

silverbutcher

I think when traditional short lining from a boat I undoubtedly lose more when using a stiffer rod. The troot just seem to be on for a second then off again. Although this can happen when I use a softer rod, it is nowhere near as often.

From the bank I nearly always use the stiffer rod, but don't fish quite the same way, so the difference in bumping fish off is not so pronounced.

Billy

Go To Front Page