News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Trout feeding on fry

Started by johnny boy, May 28, 2015, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny boy

Hi

A lot of the fish I am getting are full of fry, my usual approach for this is a Longshank Wormfly (Black version), the fly is pretty successfull but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on alternatives that I could try out.

I doubt I am going to replace the Wormfly but it would be nice to have some alternatives, any ideas?

burnie

When fishing the big stillwaters in England, the Polystickle was a much favoured fly for fry feeding troots.

corsican dave

or something like this:[attachimg=1]

plenty of fun fry patterns out there! :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

johnny boy

Geographically I am more in your area Roobarb (Lewis), so flies and tactics will be almost similar.

I have tried a variety of the larger streamer patterns as well as the epoxy type flies but with little to no positive results.

burnie

Sometimes you can see fish hitting shoals of fry(small fish) right next to the bank( I witnessed this on the Backwater last year), when this happens it is thought that they hit the fish with their sides/tails stunning the fish, then go back and hoover up the fry. Either a jerky figure of eight retrieve or just letting the fly flutter down with no retrieve can get a response.

Fishtales

I tied up a fly some forty years ago to represent a water beetle, it ended up catching more fry feders than beetele feeders :)

Hook: #12 or#10

Thread: black

Body: white floss.

Rib: silver wire.

Back: grey squirrel tail tied in at tail and pulled along back and tied in at head, shell back style. The hair I used varied from a light grey to black.

Hackle: badger.

Tail: grey squirrel, optional
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

johnny boy

Any chance you  could post a pic of that fishtails, sometimes i find a tying is completely different unless you get an image of what the final article should look like, i wouldn't mind putting a few together and trying them.

Roobarb, do you try to imitate any specific fry type patterns when you think they are locked onto fry, i only really have this one pattern then i am back to general wet patterns.

JM

corsican dave

as I said, plenty of fry patterns out there, so no need to limit youself. this one's easy to tie and you can use variations to imitate different bait-fish (foam brown, body white for instance) this is on a size#12 hook. you can even  :shock: try them on a sinking line and 2-4' tippet, which produces an amazing action and thumping takes.  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Fishtales

Quote from: corsican dave on May 29, 2015, 08:13:44 AM
as I said, plenty of fry patterns out there, so no need to limit youself. this one's easy to tie and you can use variations to imitate different bait-fish (foam brown, body white for instance) this is on a size#12 hook. you can even  :shock: try them on a sinking line and 2-4' tippet, which produces an amazing action and thumping takes.  :8)

If I have one in my box I will. It is a long while since I tied or used one, about thirty years :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

johnny boy

Thanks, yes there are plenty out there but I was looking to see which ones had proven effective on wild browns, rather than stocked.

I expect many cross over but some of the ones I have tried have don nothing, cheers

Go To Front Page