News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Waders on hill lochs

Started by Keith74, August 15, 2022, 02:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith74

Waders and hill lochs? So I bank fish hill lochs and most are a good hike into them ( atleast an hour). Have some good fishing with just a pair of boots but was wondering about carrying waders in and using them.Do you carry waders with you in a rucksack and if so what are decent waders for the job?  Does it make a massive difference to the fish you can cover during a day?

Guest_8

Aye, similar thoughts to you at the weekend. I walked into a local hill loch, 25 mins along a road, then half an hour over lumpy bugger Galloway tussocks, in weather still maybe 25 degC at 7pm. I wore them, as they're pretty lightweight Orvis jobs, stocking foot, and I use trail running trainers over them, so pretty comfy. I was a tad sweaty on the way back, as it's uphill, but not too bad. Turned out I didn't really need them as there was a pretty impressive rise on the whole time I was there, and all very close in, so I was never more than a few feet out from the bank.

But, in normal conditions, and not knowing what the loch was like beforehand, I wouldn't go without them, especially as they are lightweight.

Wildfisher

Bobfly

I have a similar pair of waist waders from Snowbee which I would use in normal conditions ie. wet ground! Lets you sit down anywhere and not heavy.
I also sometimes use knee length ex-army waterproof Goretex oversocks, which are very handy and a little taller than wellies and roll up small. I used a shorter Goretex pair to replace the bulky and leaking neoprene feet on lightweight waders making them all Goretex and rolling up easily and could then be put on inside hill boots. Cut off the neoprene feet and used Aquaseal to put on the shorter Goretex socks.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

arawa

Don't know if they are still available as I have had them for many years, but I use a pair of Neos thigh waders. They fit over walking boots and have excellent grippy soles. They roll up very small and weigh less than 1kg.

Fishtales

I never wear waders to fish hill lochs as they are too fragile to have people wading all over their edges, not only that but it pushes the fish farther out on the more popular lochs. Most of the hill lochs I have fished the drop off is only a yard or two from the shoreline so there is no need to wade, a pair of waterproof boots is enough if you need to get down to the waters edge. There is no need to wade the shallow lochs either because the fish will be all over it anyway.

Just my thoughts on the subject but if anybody wants to wade I'll not stop them :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

I'd agree with Sandy that wading is not required on most lochs and even if possible can be dangerous and only gain you a few feet of distance. It's more of a psychological gain than a practical one. That said there are one or two shallow lochs I know where wader are an advantage. 

arawa

Agree completely about not needing to wade on hill lochs - at least the small ones I fish. Quite surprising how close in the fish are following a stealthy approach.
But I do need waders to cross some of the streams to reach the lochs.

IanR

I just put lightweight chest waders round the back of my neck....

Clan Chief

I recently  bought those same  waist waders too Fred  and got a pair of light Daiwa Waiding boots to go with them.
wore them once so far and have no complaints..
Prefer my neoprene wellies boots for a decent walk in to a Loch though

Go To Front Page