News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fly tying light recommendation

Started by lochgarryfisher, August 12, 2014, 04:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lochgarryfisher

If anyone is thinking they could do with a decent light for tying i can recommend the "Adjustable LED desk lamp with GU10 daylight bulb" from a company i found on the www called Craft Lamps.

Ordered it yesterday afteernoon, delivered today, all for £26 and wow what a difference, being able to actually see where i am applying the varnish as opposed to just brushing it roughly at the head end is quite novel for me!
Also hoping it will allow me to take better pics.

lochgarryfisher

Used it last night, first time i have been able to tie flies at night time.
It is good but the type of light it gives off, [guessing this is a characteristic of LED lights] is very white light which is a bit nasty on the eyes so i also used my old angle poise light with a "warm" bulb in, much better.
Unfortunately my camera does not like it, like taking a picture of a tv, the picture was all flickery.
Never the less what a difference it has made, no longer confined to tying during the day at my south facing window.

bibio1

try maplin magnifying lamp.

its a flourescent tube but a great light.

lochgarryfisher

Quote from: bibio1 on August 13, 2014, 01:18:14 PM
try maplin magnifying lamp.

its a flourescent tube but a great light.
I went for LED cos i thought it would be good for pictures as opposed to flourescent which i thought flickers however the LED also seems to flicker on camera.
Everyone else on here seems to be able to take beautiful pics of flies where as mine are useless, that was one of the reasons i wanted a light.

Wildfisher

I just set up a blue card background and illuminate the fly from each side with two desk lamps  that have standard low energy bulbs. I then use Photoshop to automatically colour correct it. That works most of the time. It's really important to properly and strongly light  the subject. It is also essential to have sufficient depth of field and to mount the camera on a tripod as getting the depth of field means you need a narrow aperture  and slow shutter speed.

Lochan_load

MAplin fluorescent for me too, I tie one and then snap it with my phone, usually use my hand as a background, sometimes takes a few tries

Highlander

You can not beat natural light but for anything else I like to have "all round" light so a florescent tube is ideal.
If I need a sustained light source I use a small LED angle poise type I picked up in IKEA some years ago. There are many
alternatives on the market & others will have their preferences. There is nothing worse than tying flies whilst struggling with your eyesight in poor light with being tired the next worse thing. A sight board is useful but a cheap one can be made from a bit of A4 laminated paper.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page