News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Mythical Magic Fishing Bullets

Started by Wildfisher, January 14, 2011, 03:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Let?s be honest, there are no magic bullets. No matter what you do, be it learning a musical instrument, fly fishing  ? anything. To get good involves hard work and dedication.

I got the new Snowbee catalogue today and just looking at the range of fly lines I had to chuckle. The marketing man has  been hard at work with the gullible fly fisher in mind. Special lines and  profiles for just about every style of fly fishing.

For example ? ?delicate presentation?   lines with continuous back tapers aimed primarily  at river fishers who are probably fishing at well under  40 feet 99%  of the time. One good thing was most of  the lines are  quite short  ~ 90 feet which is sensible if you want to get lots of backing on the reel -  essential if fishing in NZ for example.

These lines and many others are a classic example of marketing hype.  A surer way to achieve ?delicate presentation?   would be to improve your casting skills. But we look for magic bullets to short circuit the process.

Can you think of other examples of magical gear ?essential? if you are to catch  more and bigger fish?

Harpo

Sage fishing rods  :worried

At Sage, every piece of angling equipment we make is designed, tested and hand built with one goal in mind: Maximum Fishability. It's a term we came up with a few years back to describe the kind of performance that helps you catch more, fish more effectively and have more fun. In short, every Sage rod, reel and line is specifically designed to help you make the most of your precious time on the water.

:D

Inchlaggan

I believed all of this crepe years ago. And have a shedfull of expensive sh1t to prove it (not just fishing kit either).
Then I discovered that I enjoy fishing not catching (old, boring, adage but true).
I have my legs and a boat to get me closer to the fish, I do not need to cast 150ft.
I do need to get my flee on the water in a delicate manner, if I'd spent 10% of what I spent on tackle on some casting lessons I might be able to do it now.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Otter Spotter

Quote from: Harpo on January 14, 2011, 04:11:16 PM
Sage fishing rods  :worried

At Sage, every piece of angling equipment we make is designed, tested and hand built with one goal in mind: Maximum Fishability. It's a term we came up with a few years back to describe the kind of performance that helps you catch more, fish more effectively and have more fun. In short, every Sage rod, reel and line is specifically designed to help you make the most of your precious time on the water.

:D

Oi You!

Their marketing bullsh!t may be very poor but their rods are excellent! They definitely DO NOT catch ME more fish but I do derive great pleasure fishing with mine. #4 TCR with a wildfisher WF5 is blissfull  :makefun
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Otter Spotter on January 14, 2011, 04:30:41 PM
I do derive great pleasure fishing with mine. #4 TCR with a wildfisher WF5 is blissfull

In which case you really do need a  #5 TCX  to try with a Wildfisher WF6 blue intermediate (coming to a  website near you soon  :8))  . Sweet.   :lol:

haresear

Fluorocarbon. Apparently it is invisible :roll: Probably even more invisible than Maxima Chameleon, which is also invisible :roll:

Goldhead bugs are on the other hand very visible and deadly. Fish can't see lifelike dull imitations or even real nymphs very well you know  :)

Alex

Protect the edge.

Otter Spotter

Quote from: admin on January 14, 2011, 04:34:20 PM
In which case you really do need a  #5 TCX  to try with a Wildfisher WF6 blue intermediate (coming to a  website near you soon  :8))  . Sweet.   :lol:

I have a TCX #7 and I'll be in touch about the WF8 intermediate when available  :8)
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on January 14, 2011, 04:39:45 PM
Fish can't see lifelike dull imitations or even real nymphs very well you know

I noticed that on Creek 61.  A perfectly presented nymph coming right past the nose of a big trout and being completely ignored.

Quite obviously the fish could not have seen it.   :lol:

Inchlaggan

Quote from: haresear on January 14, 2011, 04:39:45 PM
Fluorocarbon. Apparently it is invisible
Cool! I've got dozens of spools of the stuff in all BS's. 100M @ 99p +P&P
I'd post photaes, but what's the point, it's invisible!
2 problems for you.
1) Prove the spool is empty.
2) Knot it.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Black-Don

You see comp fisher's with 32 different spools of line. Are they really necessary ?

I have a floater, sinker, slow intermediate, fast int,. and a ghost tip. I only ever really need use about 2 of them. Floater and fast inter,. maybe slow inter at a push.

You can use polyleaders to get the fancy presentations that things like the di3 sweep give you if you really need to.

Go To Front Page