News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Whisky Reviews

Started by SoldierPmr, April 17, 2015, 09:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacTeeth

Quote from: Bobfly on February 05, 2024, 10:54:38 PMCrabbies may be a bit smaller now. Our ginger wine mixer bottle for Whisky Macs has a Kirkcaldy postcode on the label and the words "Made in the UK for Crabbies Ltd.".

I'm working  my way through a bottle of Crabbie's "Yardhead" Single Malt...they are punting it as a base for Whisky Macs...it's "ok" is the best I can muster..
Fiddle Player, Blues Singer, Fisher

Noddy

I bought the Yardhead a few years ago when it was on offer.  Would not buy it again it was dreadful. Pleasantly surprised by Tamnavulin matured in a white wine cask.  I'm also supping a Glen Scotia 15yr old its nice as well.

Jim

superscot

Had this wee gem given to me as a fav. It's up there on the Richter scale at 60+% proof and once you add a wee touch of water is very pleasant would I pay £60 odd quid a bottle answer is no but will slowly work my way through it. As like most things that are free taste a lot better. 

superscot

Not sure just how many of the forum enjoy the odd dram or three. I only have a few on a sat night along with a few can of Guinness hated the stuff for most of my life but for whatever happened I do like a couple of cans well they do say stout is good for you!
Anyway, back to what I meant to say.
For those who like a nightly nip here is one for you found completely by chance and called Ledaig Sinclair Series Rioja Cask Finish
And it is what it says on the bottle and for me one of the best drinking dram for just over £31 quid a bottle [hunt about for it ] Amazon was the best buy for a while and well worth it.   

Noddy

Quote from: superscot on February 10, 2024, 08:56:44 PMI only have a few on a sat night along with a few can of Guinness hated the stuff for most of my life but for whatever happened I do like a couple of cans well they do say stout is good for you

I do like a Guiness not keen on it from a can though.  Tesco have canned Black Heart Stout made by Brewdog its nice and a lot cheaper.  Discovered another stout in Asda called Forged which is brewed in Dublin also very nice. You can get both for about £5.75 for 4 cans.

Jim

arawa

Quote from: Noddy on February 20, 2024, 11:01:32 PMI do like a Guiness not keen on it from a can though.  Tesco have canned Black Heart Stout made by Brewdog its nice and a lot cheaper.  Discovered another stout in Asda called Forged which is brewed in Dublin also very nice. You can get both for about £5.75 for 4 cans.

Jim

Over Christmas my wife bought our son some of the new larger cans of Guinness that have to be opened with a special device (£30 - but he is her only son😀) that "smooths the bubbles out". Sounds like marketing hype but although not a Guinness fan I tried a can and thoroughly enjoyed it.

superscot

QuoteSounds like marketing hype but although not a Guinness fan I tried a can and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Have to agree its lovely but has to be well chilled ....i thought it was a hype also but it really works only downside they cost a fair bit more than the normal can

Crawhin

Quote from: superscot on February 10, 2024, 08:56:44 PMNot sure just how many of the forum enjoy the odd dram or three. I only have a few on a sat night along with a few can of Guinness hated the stuff for most of my life but for whatever happened I do like a couple of cans well they do say stout is good for you!
Anyway, back to what I meant to say.
For those who like a nightly nip here is one for you found completely by chance and called Ledaig Sinclair Series Rioja Cask Finish
And it is what it says on the bottle and for me one of the best drinking dram for just over £31 quid a bottle [hunt about for it ] Amazon was the best buy for a while and well worth it.   

I also got a bottle from Amazon - very nice and easy drinking dram.

Has anyone tried the Lidl Ben Bracken? Today's Times rated it with this write up -

"Ben Bracken Islay Single Malt Whisky, Scotland
40 per cent, 70cl, £18.49
Britain's best value supermarket single malt is a dreamy peat, tobacco smoke and seaweed-scented gem."

arawa

Some time ago a friend (!) sandbagged me with a surreptitious glass of I think Lidl Ben Bracken whisky. It was not a great dram but not at all bad and could not argue with the price (think it was about £18).
I have also had some pretty good wines from Lidl.

SoldierPmr

After 10 years I got around to getting another bottle of Aberlour a'bunadh. I put a little bit of water with it to mellow out the alcohol. And it's a really nice sherry bomb.

bruichladdich classic laddie. Again a lovely whisky with a good price point. I think it will be a staple in my collection.

bruichladdich Port Charolette. A great peated whisky and another that will be replaced when it's empty. Not as heated as the octomore or as thick but it's got a great price point for the quality. I think I prefer it over the Ardbeg 10.

Go To Front Page