News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

So what is the law?

Started by Wildfisher, November 01, 2017, 10:15:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

On the river you own the fishing rights to the left bank, I own the rights to the right bank.

What is the law on how far across  we can wade and cast?

SoldierPmr

You can cast right over you can wade to the "middle" which happens to be the deepest channel be it 1ft from your bank or 1ft from their bank.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Roobarb on November 01, 2017, 10:25:28 AM
No don't go here again!!!

You can wade to the centre line and cast all the way to the far bank.
From the centre line you may cast back towards your own bank.
You can not wade beyond the centre and cast back towards your own bank.

The centre is not half way across the river but is the line of the thalweg or midium filum. This is basically the line of the main flow and it may move across the river at differing water heights. So you can paddle through yards of shallows to fish the main flow where it runs tight down the far bank and your neighbour can do the same when the flow is down your side.

ENTERING FFF MODE... the above is correct and I won't repeat myself! If you think different you are wrong!

Andy

Well that seems to be simple enough and easy to understand.  No room at all for mistakes to be made. :lol:

Wildfisher

The reason I was asking is I have only seen it written on one permit and that was the Haughton beat on  the Don which specifies wading must not be past the center of the river. There was also one case on here of a forum member getting it in the neck for casting to the opposite bank on the Marnoch Bridge beat of the Deveron.

SoldierPmr

Quote from: Roobarb on November 01, 2017, 10:26:16 AM
Sorry you beat me to it and did it in less words :lol:

Andy

I'm a minimalist when it comes to words  :lol:

You described it much better than I could.

corsican dave

Quote from: Element on November 05, 2017, 12:13:54 AM
... and if I am afloat drifting down the water, I don't need permission from either bank and I can have the whole pie to myself  :lol:

E.
if only.....  :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Laxdale

Quote from: Element on November 05, 2017, 12:13:54 AM
... and if I am afloat drifting down the water, I don't need permission from either bank and I can have the whole pie to myself  :lol:

E.

Bang!!!
Swimming down the river......

corsican dave

we have ways of dealing with red-necks  :lol:[attachimg=1]
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

ant0

Quote from: corsican dave on November 05, 2017, 10:04:34 PM
we have ways of dealing with red-necks  :lol:[attachimg=1]

Having second thoughts about my move to Aviemore now  :freeked

corsican dave

Quote from: ant0 on November 06, 2017, 12:51:58 PM
Having second thoughts about my move to Aviemore now  :freeked
just pack a banjo. you'll be fine  :8)

Go To Front Page