News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Hardy jet switch 8/9

Started by Hill loch gold, December 26, 2015, 11:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishtales

I am in the 'don't see the need for casting experts' group. I go fishing, not casting, and use the rods I have at the time to fish wherever I am. I have fished small burns with the same rod as I fish lochs, a 10' #7, and don't even think about it. I have also fished them with a 7'6" #5 cane rod and had no bother fishing with that. I have fished for salmon with a 13' #9 rod on the Earn, Tay and Spey and can't spey cast for the life of me but it doesn't stop me trying. I get the line out where I want it and the fly usually follows but I don't get upset with it if it doesn't I just keep on fishing. My mate taught me to fly cast 45 years ago and I have taught quite a few people myself since then. I don't do, or need, fancy casts I just improvise with the casts I do, overhead, roll, side or spey, not elegantly but satisfying when it catches one of those hard to reach fish :) I use a WF #7 line on my 10', mainly because I usually have a bit of mountain behind me or I am fishing in a gale, and can get 20+ yards over rising fish when I need to but don't get overly annoyed when I can't. There are no quick fixes when learning to cast. Once someone shows you how to do it the rest is up to the individual and how much practice they get. Just because the instruction comes from a non professional doesn't make any difference nor is it all bad.

I don't have anything against someone making a living from instructing. If there are people out there who want to pay then that is there choice, being from a generation where you either taught yourself or learned from a friend I just don't see the point.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Lochan_load

I'm currently trying to learn Spey cast and having had a couple of lessons from my uncle and my pal who's a ghillie what I'm doing now is trying to put time in, that's what'll how proficient I become. Saying that though I think it'll probably be worth getting someone to have a look at my technique once I feel comfortable with the rod and some of the technique (I'll probably ask my mate though....he's free  :D)

With regards all the 'new fangled' gear I must say I am a bit of a tackle tart and ours is the ultimate 'accessory hobby' and i like buying stuff if I think it'll improve my enjoyment. The array of different salmon lines though did leave my head spinning a bit when I was trying to buy my first set up. I went for a Rio afs outbound on the recommendation of my uncle and even though I have no point of reference it's excellent. Front heavy which I find helpful and is very good quality. I don't fancy the idea of having a seperate running line, head etc but I'm sure its useful for some.

Bobfly

Going back to the original request ..... that was asking for advice, with speydulika specifically mentioned, for a suitable line or lines to match up with the new rod. There has been a considerable amount of detailed and experienced sound advice and a kind offer of professional help put forward in return. That looks like blxxdy good offering to me !
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Lochan_load

Absolutely Vaughan, I think that casting lessons would be great but it's not something I can afford so I'll thrash away til I get there ( that wasn't a hint btw!)
I reckon I could walk up a hill without lessons though  :tongue2 (no offence Dave!)

corsican dave

Quote from: Lochan_load on December 29, 2015, 08:14:26 PM
I reckon I could walk up a hill without lessons though  :tongue2 (no offence Dave!)
i'm sure you could. I hope you get back safely.....  :wink:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

speydulika

Quote from: Lochan_load on December 29, 2015, 08:14:26 PM
Absolutely Vaughan, I think that casting lessons would be great but it's not something I can afford so I'll thrash away til I get there ( that wasn't a hint btw!)

If you send me a pm we can work something out. I live in St Helens but teach on the Lune and Eden. If you can make these locations then I will do something for you after some of my regular clients. If you make a small (secret) donation to the Help For Heroes charity then consider me paid.

Lochan_load

Genuinely wasn't dropping a hint but that's very kind, if I ever have occasion to be down that way I'll give you a shout, thanks

I was kidding of course Dave ;)
I got caught in low cloud coming back from a hill Loch in knoydart this year, I did the whole walk for half an hour and ending up in the same spot......twice! Very disorientating and pretty scary. Was never in any danger but I did crap it a wee bit, I reckon if I did get in proper bother I would just get in the foetal position and cry like a baby  :gay4

Billy

I probably should have had a couple of lessons on spey casting a few years ago and I did look into it but I simply did not have spare time then.

I persevered and now manage to put out a decent line which easily covers the Don where I fish.

I did use DVDs for guidance and in particular Hendrik Mortensens DVDs on spey casting. It eventually all fell into place.

I use a spey line with interchangeable poly leaders. I must admit to knowing very little about salmon tackle and struggle to tell the difference between a hairy mary and a munro killer but I feel a little bit of pride when I put out a good spey cast.
More so than I do with my trout casting.

Billy

corsican dave

Quote from: Bobfly on December 29, 2015, 07:47:37 PM
Going back to the original request ..... that was asking for advice, with speydulika specifically mentioned, for a suitable line or lines to match up with the new rod. There has been a considerable amount of detailed and experienced sound advice and a kind offer of professional help put forward in return. That looks like blxxdy good offering to me !
quite right Vaughan  :D I can see both sides of the debate, as I said. using some somewhat unusual flies has shown me the advantages of various tapers, or at least meant that I've had to experiment a bit to find what works best for me. so i'm all for a bit of product development, where someone else does all the testing and I just get to go fishing. casting big pike lures with even a #9wt standard reservoir outfit is not much fun. for me, anyway! having someone with a bit (a lot) of experience have a look at your casting and suggest suitable lines or improvements in technique sounds like an absolute gift!

and of course, it isn't really a debate; it's Andy asking for specific advice on a specific piece of kit, as you said  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page